Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 91 yj.

I have replaced the dash lights with LED lights. (No problems). I replaced the cluster lights above the steering column (no problem). I replaced the rear trail lights to LED and added led flasher as well as added a second set of LED turn/brake lights at the top rear of the hardtop (no problem). I have replaced the headlights (no problem). I installed a towing package for both flat towing the Jeep or the Jeep towing a trailer (no problem). After each one of these steps I function check the system and all lights were operational.

Now comes the problem.

I just replaced the front running/turn from incandescent to LED. The front side marker are still incandescent (have yet to receive the LED, they are being replaced as well) upon checking the new LED lights in the front in parking light configuration (they work) yet both interior dash turn signal indicators light stay on. When I turned the parking lights switch to the on position the signal indicators illuminated and stayed on. When I turned to the headlights same problem. With the headlights off and I use a turn signal all signals function. The side I'm signaling to is much brighter than the side I'm not. Example: right signal on, right light 100%, left light illuminated at 50%, no left interior turn indicator, right functioning as normal and the same for the left side...

I've read that by converting the interior turn indicator light to LED I've reduced the resistance in the circuit and need to add diodes in line with each dash indicator light and then ground the indicator light separately. (Motorcycle forum, can't find one about Jeeps). I've read elsewhere I need to put resistance inline with the turn front turn signals.

I'm at a loss... Has anyone experienced this and what did you do to correct the issues? Any assistance greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
LED replacement bulbs typically don't draw enough amperage to get the OEM flasher relays working correctly. The two typical solutions are either replacing the flasher relays with newer aftermarket versions that work with LEDs, or putting heavy wattage power resistors in parallel with the LEDs, so the two combined will draw as much current (with the resistor burning it off as heat) as an incandescent bulb would have.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Not to mention the side markers and turn signals use a floating ground.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm aware the side marker (above fender) grounds differently than the front turn/parking lights.

I'm also aware of the flasher relay needing to be upgraded. Which I did when I installed the brake lights.

This is the first I'm finding with the front turn signals causing the lighting issue. I can't find my specific lighting problem addressed with front turn signal LED swap. (Probably searching the wrong terms)

I have found a write up regarding placing diodes inline with the blinker indicator light. But that was on a motorcycle forum.

Appreciate the answers. Still searching for the truth. (Feeling like a X-File episode)

Any help greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I'm aware the side marker (above fender) grounds differently than the front turn/parking lights.

I'm also aware of the flasher relay needing to be upgraded. Which I did when I installed the brake lights.

This is the first I'm finding with the front turn signals causing the lighting issue. I can't find my specific lighting problem addressed with front turn signal LED swap. (Probably searching the wrong terms)

I have found a write up regarding placing diodes inline with the blinker indicator light. But that was on a motorcycle forum.

Appreciate the answers. Still searching for the truth. (Feeling like a X-File episode)

Any help greatly appreciated.
Check out this artical it’ll help.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've kept digging and found a whole thread... Great info if any others have a similar issue. Again thanks for the help!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update.... purchased the grounded flashers relay for both turn and hazard. Did not solve the issue of hyper-flash electrical issue... looks like the I need to add the in-line resistors.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Re-reading this, the problem sounds not like the blinker failing to blink correctly, but rather voltage getting in from another circuit.

The turn signals up front should be in parallel with their corresponding indicator lamps. If turning on the parking lamps lights the turn signal indicators lamps in the dash, there has to be a current path bridging the parking lamp and turn signal circuits.

If memory serves those park/turn signals use 2057 dual filament bulbs. If that's the case, that's the first thing I'd check, since replacing those bulbs seemed to cause the problem. Those bulbs have a common terminal (the sheath around the base of the bulb, if I'm remembering right) and the two contacts on the bottom, one for each filament, or in the case of the LED replacement for each bank of LEDs.

If the LED bulbs have both of those bottom contacts connected to a common circuit internally, instead of two separate banks of LEDS, I think that would cause these symptoms. That should be easy to check with the continuity test function on a multimeter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts