Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a regear to 4.88 I did back in July to my 2012 Jeep JK I have started experiencing an issue when driving at highway speeds for 2+ hours. After a long period of driving I will hear a chime from the instrument cluster and all of the gauges will turn off for a second and all of the warning lights will come on for a short period of time and then they will go back to normal. After it happens the first time it typically persists once every 5 minutes or so until I stop going at highway speeds. I am not very mechanically experienced but what I think is happening is my Jeep is drawing more power from the battery at highway speeds than the alternator can produce. I was wondering if anyone else has had similar issues and if so what the best way to attack it is, whether it be upgrading the alternator or running a dual battery setup. The Jeep throws no error codes after the issue occurs and it occurs faster and more often if the music is up loud. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

·
Registered
396 Posts
I don't think it would have to do with your re-gear. It shouldn't be the battery, or you would have trouble starting. It shouldn't be the alternator, or it would be a continuous problem, not momentarily.

The dash light symptoms are similar to a momentary loss of voltage, usually from a loose wire or termination. Could you post a picture of your battery terminals? The stock terminal lugs hate having any accessories on the clamping nut.

·
Registered
810 Posts
After a regear to 4.88 I did back in July to my 2012 Jeep JK I have started experiencing an issue when driving at highway speeds for 2+ hours. After a long period of driving I will hear a chime from the instrument cluster and all of the gauges will turn off for a second and all of the warning lights will come on for a short period of time and then they will go back to normal. After it happens the first time it typically persists once every 5 minutes or so until I stop going at highway speeds. I am not very mechanically experienced but what I think is happening is my Jeep is drawing more power from the battery at highway speeds than the alternator can produce. I was wondering if anyone else has had similar issues and if so what the best way to attack it is, whether it be upgrading the alternator or running a dual battery setup. The Jeep throws no error codes after the issue occurs and it occurs faster and more often if the music is up loud. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
JK's will do that if the battery connections are loose or corroded. Be sure you don't have any accessory hooked up to the clamping bolt on either positive or negative terminal. Take them loose, give them a look and clean them, then re-clamp each side.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts