Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed every time I plug my phone charger, vacuum, etc. into the power outlet, it makes my radio go really staticky, almost to where you can't hear it. It happens on every channel. Is this a common thing or anyone else experience this?

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
AM or FM band? AM band is more likely to to pickup RF noise. I notice a "whine" when I have my phone charger plugged in and a cable plugged into the AUX jack.

·
Gone Fishin
403 Posts
Did you buy the jeep new? If not, then perhaps the previous owner installed, or reinstalled, the radio without a proper ground. Most times the connectors have multiple grounds that should be wired back to the battery for best performance.
Also, have found that the gnd connection on connectors are usually at the same potential, but not always. Use a DVM and check the resistance of the gnd back to the battery from the harness. It should read about 0.2-0.4 ohms. Which is the resistance of the DVM leads plus the harness.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts