Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After summering my 90 4.2 in four foot of salt water I have managed to change all of the fluids twice, replace the starter replace all of the battery cables. She fired right up. Here's the problem. When I step on the brakes the blinkers blink and all of the lights on the gauges come on. Also the wipers slowly move. Any suggestions to help me fix this problem would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Sounds like you have some bad grounds or connections, if you ran in salt water, I would start with the tail lights for corrosion and grounds. Usually if there is a bad ground, the current will seek the easiest route and will "backfeed" thru the wires, energizing things like you mention.

·
Registered
47 Posts
the same thing happened with my truck. i had a boat and after submerging the tail end quite a few times some how two wires were touching without the ruber around it. when i used the wipers all my lights would turn on and a couple of dash warning lights. you could just have two wires touching that shouldent be. i would also check all the connections

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went for a ride and couldn't take the wipers going off so I pulled the little black box under the steering wheel and everything is back to normal now. I just don't have any wipers. I forgot to mention that I saw that black box this weekend and pulled it off to see what it was. Maybe I messed it up. Should I get a new one?

·
Registered
210 Posts
You talking about your relay? This issue is probably not the relay itself but since you pulled that and the problem stopped my guess would be that its with that circuit. The other relays should be the same you could test it by putting another relay in if it start acting up again i'd check the wiper system for issues if it doesnt then get a new relay

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since I've had the jeep vie had problems with the wipers. If I hit a bump they would come on. I guess I need to get a new black box thing

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
Make sure there isn't water in the housings. It can fill up in there sometimes. When you brake and put power to the brake light, it shares power accross the water to all other light circuits in the housing.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sevenservices said:
Make sure there isn't water in the housings. It can fill up in there sometimes. When you brake and put power to the brake light, it shares power accross the water to all other light circuits in the housing.
What housing are you talking about?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
89JEEPYJ said:
i rewired my whole truck and on my new fuse panel i had a loose fusable link witch caused the same thing u are explaining. so go to your starter relay box thing on ur firewall and make sure all ur fusable links are good and tight
Is the starter relay thing on my firewall next to the battery? I'm not aware of any fuses on the firewall.

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
inside the light housings like on the backside, the plastic ones. The connectors on the back of the bulbs that are enclosed can also trap water.

If you have access to an air compressor you can blow out all the connections as well. The air nozzles are great for that kind of stuff.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts