Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed my third brake light was not working. It turns out the two terminals on the tailgate side were missing (kind of makes me wonder how it passed the "multipoint" inspection the sellers performed). Finally, got a hold of two terminals and tried to install them, but the two grommets won't hold them in place. And, every time you open the tailgate they catch on the edge of the body and get pulled off (probably why they were missing in the first place from the previous owner). Any thoughts? Try to shove the metal bracket over and then RTV the terminals in place?

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something here, but the bracket that holds the contacts on the tailgate is far enough away from the gate that I'm having a hard time with how they are getting hung up on the edge of the body. Maybe pictures would help. You might want to take a look at a local wrecking yard that has Jeeps and make sure you have the right hardware.

In CA, a third brake light is considered auxiliary lighting and isn't mandatory, even though. IMHO, it's a good idea to have it.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you observe the geometry of the tailgate to the edge of the chassis, those two button terminals pass within a fraction of an inch right by that vertical edge. The bracket, grommets, plastic cover are the correct parts. The issue is the grommets are not holding the terminals snugly. I thought center high-mounted light was a nationwide requirement.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Try taking the plastic cover off, pull the contacts tight against the grommets, then put a small tie wrap around each one on the back side to hold them in place... Then reinstall the cover. It seems like that is what I did before I put a tire carrier on and mounted mine in the center of the tire.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts