Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it possible to use a regular relay like the ones that come with HID lighting kits to use the 12v headlight circuit to trigger a 24v light (via a step up transformer)? since the 12v would only be holding the relay switch closed, there should be no problem with different voltages...correct?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yes to the relay question. 12v would control the relay. The contacts are independent and would be able to handle the 24v.

However you can't get 24VDC using a step up transformer. Transformers only work with AC not DC.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes to the relay question. 12v would control the relay. The contacts are independent and would be able to handle the 24v.

However you can't get 24VDC using a step up transformer. Transformers only work with AC not DC.
Okay so transformer may not have been the correct word, but they do make 12 volt to 24 volt DC converters correct ? A simple yes would have sufficed.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They make them. They are a little expensive.
What are you powering that's 24V?
A set of off road/spot lights. I have seen those 12 volt to 24 volt converters on eBay for like 30 bucks. They are waterproof and made for automotive use. are you saying that those would not work? My plan as long as it works is to use the high beam headlight circuit to trigger the spotlights. And I know they make 12 volt spotlights, but these are free and they are brighter than most of the ones I have seen

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually a simple no would have been the correct response.
The yes was because it is technically possible to use a 12 volt trigger to activate a 24 volt system.
Did everybody in the forum wake up this morning on the wrong side of the bed?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Since I obviously haven't learned to keep my mouth shut:

Most of the inexpensive converters I see on Ebay convert 24VDC down to 12VDC.

You need to go the other way.

How much current do your lamps draw?

You need to find a 12VDC to 24VDC step up converter at sufficient current to power the number of lights you are installing.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since I obviously haven't learned to keep my mouth shut:

Most of the inexpensive converters I see on Ebay convert 24VDC down to 12VDC.

You need to go the other way.

How much current do your lamps draw?

You need to find a 12VDC to 24VDC step up converter at sufficient current to power the number of lights you are installing.
two units, each with about 20 leds. current draw for each should be no more than 3-5amps, but since i dont physicaly have them, i cant test them yet.

this is the part that i was looking to use: Waterproof DC DC Converter Regulator 12V Step Up to 24V 10A 240W Regulator Rosh | eBay

one per light should be more than enough, even if i decide to add more lights later.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, you should be good to go.
good to know.

this is mainly a temporary and inexpensive fix to the problem. ultimatly, i will be installling a dual battery setup and will be able to draw 24v straight from that, but gotta take it one mod at a time...

:beerdrinking:

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
The reason the ebay ones are cheap is because of their variances. You see this:

1. synchronous rectification, conversion rate is 90% with very low heat.

So the conversion rate is 90% in a synchronous feed. Not really conducive for lighting.

·
Registered
640 Posts
good to know.

this is mainly a temporary and inexpensive fix to the problem. ultimatly, i will be installling a dual battery setup and will be able to draw 24v straight from that, but gotta take it one mod at a time...

:beerdrinking:
Because I woke up on the wrong side of the bed...

I'm interested in seeing the wiring diagram of a dual battery system that you propose to get 24V from.

Particularly I'm interested in:

a.) voltage spec of your alternator (or other charging system)
b.) how you intend to power some items with 12v and some with 24v
c.) what you are going to use the 24v for other than these lights.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Because I woke up on the wrong side of the bed... I'm interested in seeing the wiring diagram of a dual battery system that you propose to get 24V from. Particularly I'm interested in: a.) voltage spec of your alternator (or other charging system) b.) how you intend to power some items with 12v and some with 24v c.) what you are going to use the 24v for other than these lights.
24v lights? Why? Wouldn't simple LEDs suffice and run on a 12v circuit? Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean u should

·
Registered
640 Posts
24v lights? Why? Wouldn't simple LEDs suffice and run on a 12v circuit? Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean u should
OP said in post #6 that they are free and brighter than others.

I'm thinking 'free' is going to be rather expensive in this case, but maybe I'm wrong.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The reason the ebay ones are cheap is because of their variances. You see this:

1. synchronous rectification, conversion rate is 90% with very low heat.

So the conversion rate is 90% in a synchronous feed. Not really conducive for lighting.
I don't understand your comment. What am I missing? What is wrong with the following statement?

"synchronous rectification improves efficiency, thermal performance, power density, manufacturability, and reliability, and decreases the overall system cost of power supply systems"

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm thinking since they are LED they will probably work on just the 12VDC. Most LEDs have a broad voltage range where they will work.

·
Registered
783 Posts
is it possible to use a regular relay like the ones that come with HID lighting kits to use the 12v headlight circuit to trigger a 24v light (via a step up transformer)? since the 12v would only be holding the relay switch closed, there should be no problem with different voltages...correct?
The question is, will the relay be big enough to handle the CURRENT. So I have to pop the question. What is the Wattage of the Lights, Qty of lights. What is the Current rating of the relay. Do you have a P.N. to google the specs.
I wouldn't tie into the headlights. Low beams give better lighting around the front and side of the vehicle.
I'll bet you got different reasons.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts