Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 95 yj 2.5 and have some stalling problems. The thing is it just stalls as if the key were turned off, no sputtering, no loss of fuel pressure, and it's completely random. It could drive 10 feet or 10 miles, but it's bound to stall eventually and it usually starts right back up several minutes later. Replaced cap & rotor, ignition coil, fuel pump & filter, spark plugs still have a nice blue spark. I'm at a total stand still as to where I should go next.. CPS maybe? All input is greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any other ideas? I'm about to dig in and replace the ignition switch now if no one has any other input!

·
Registered
638 Posts
Random quitting issues are no fun. You could end up replacing almost everything and still not find it. Ignition switch is a good one. So is Coil. Or the wires to the coil. Or the wiring to the ignition switch. Or....the list unfortunately could go on and on.

Best thing to do is look up testing procedures for your sensors. Next check for power on certain items WHILE wiggling a wire or tapping a component.

After that you just get to play musical chairs :(

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
New observation! I was just revving it in neutral, it seems to idle fine, but as soon as I hit 2500 rpm, it stalls! Any new ideas?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Random quitting issues are no fun. You could end up replacing almost everything and still not find it. Ignition switch is a good one. So is Coil. Or the wires to the coil. Or the wiring to the ignition switch. Or....the list unfortunately could go on and on. Best thing to do is look up testing procedures for your sensors. Next check for power on certain items WHILE wiggling a wire or tapping a component. After that you just get to play musical chairs :(
any new ideas?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Check your exhaust. Look for extremely bent areas and if you can check the catalytic converter.
no cats, and I fixed it! Not an electrical problem though..? All I did was release pressure from the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail, and started her up and it ran like a champ... Not sure what it did but it worked...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Could be a restriction in the return line somewhere or a Fuel pressure regulator flaking out. Glad you found it but me thinks it might creep back if you got blockage on the return line.
It's really common for the fuel return line to become closed off inside the tank. The plastic tank buckles, and the fuel pickup is only .25" off the bottom of the tank. When it does this it closes off the return line. The only solution is to drop the tank, pull the pump and trim the return line, I cut about an inch off mine and you could really see where the tube had dug into the anti slosh baffles. A simple fuel pressure test will confirm it. My fuel pressure was really high, pulled the return and temporarily routed it into a bucket and started and the fuel pressure went to the text book value of normal. At any rate a search of the internet and I found myself inside my tank. You should probably check yours.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's really common for the fuel return line to become closed off inside the tank. The plastic tank buckles, and the fuel pickup is only .25" off the bottom of the tank. When it does this it closes off the return line. The only solution is to drop the tank, pull the pump and trim the return line, I cut about an inch off mine and you could really see where the tube had dug into the anti slosh baffles. A simple fuel pressure test will confirm it. My fuel pressure was really high, pulled the return and temporarily routed it into a bucket and started and the fuel pressure went to the text book value of normal. At any rate a search of the internet and I found myself inside my tank. You should probably check yours.
dropping the tank today to take a look at it!

·
Registered
212 Posts
*i meant to say the fuel return tube is only .25" from the bottom not the pickup, although that's close too.

Sounds good, keep us posted. Might want to change the fuel likes to and from the pump while you are in there mine were about to break!

·
Registered
517 Posts
And If you haven't already done so give yourself a 20 gallon tank while you're at it! Maybe 6 cyl comes stock this way tho idk
I believe it was an option with the I6. All they did was remove that hose when the build sheet called for it. But yes, get it all done while you are in there, it's a great, easy, free mod. Your sender is still for a 15gal tank, so it will just sit at full for the 5 gallons, then start to move when you hit the 15gal mark. But that's easy to ignore. Makes longer trips less worrisome.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts