Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 Wrangler and here's my situation. While driving, she stars to buck, check engine light comes on, gages zero out, gas light comes on a d she stalls. Pull over, wait a few seconds and starts right back up with cages back. Took me 4X of this process to get a mile down the road, to the safety of my garage. Any ideas??

·
Registered
78 Posts
Are there any codes stored? If you cycle the ignition from OFF to ON 3 times without starting the engine, any stored codes will be displayed in the odometer.

It sounds like the PCM is losing power. Makes sure that your battery posts as well as all terminals and grounds for the battery harness are shiny clean.

You'll find a ground point on the passenger side of the engine block and another on the fire wall. There is also a ground wire running from the rear of the driver side head to the firewall.

·
Retired Moderator
100,642 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,432 Posts
Off hand, I'd say the engine control unit. If it's not throwing a code, that would be the first place I'd look.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Check battery cables and tub to engine ground
Make sure all connections are clean and tight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4.0L 5spd Money pit Green
395 Posts
Might I add a few key words...…

All connections need to be clean "at the point of contact" and tight. And not necessarily gorilla tight.....tight enough that they won't move when tugged on in a side to side manner.

·
Super Moderator
12,691 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Missdawn,

Good advice above. Clean battery posts and cables. Your local auto parts store will have an inexpensive tool for this. Then go for the grounds.
Clean well and assemble with dielectric grease (also available where you buy the battery terminal tool).

Then on to checking for codes. An inexpensive code reader is around $75.00 or the key trick will give you the codes and if you post them here (if any) someone will be able to tell you what they mean.

Good Luck, L.M.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts