Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a used 2013 Jeep JK with 3.73s. I forgot to check and see if it had limited slip or not when I bought it when I asked about the gear ratio. Anyway since it has am open diffrential, I was going to put a locker in the rear. I've seen several different E Lockers available but was wanting some input on the best locker for the money. Was hoping to stay around $700 for parts as the labor will be about $300 and needs to be an E locker. Gear ratio is 3.73 with the stock Dana 44. Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Or would I be better off leaving it with an Open Diffrential and using my brake to force my rearend to go posi when I need it? Its my daily driver and will only be used offroad a couple weekends a month. I'm open to suggestions either way.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
if you do not have limited slip using your brake is not really the same as having posi traction. limited slip is pretty seamless for a daily driver but an elect. locker would be better off road but pretty non useable on the street.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Are you talking about the situtation where when you have one wheel in the air and the other on the ground with a regular open diff. the wheel in the air gets all the power? The electronic stability control doesn't transfer power to the other wheel when one loses traction. It brakes the wheel that is free spinning to keep you from losing control in a skid. A limited slip transfers a small amount to the other wheel to keep you moving and a locker is 50/50 all the time. Usually when you are in 4wd the ESC is off anyway.

·
Supporting Member
2,420 Posts
Are you going to re-gear too? What size tires are you running? It I highly recommended to change your gear ratio too since you are paying for labor on the diffs. If you are going to run 35's think about getting 4.56 or 4.88.

Anyway, I like the Eaton E-Locker. There is the Auburn ECTED and also the OX which can be lever/cable, air or electronically actuated. I would go with Eaton E-Locker out of these. I believe now that Eaton has the stronger, 4 pinion design that they didn't have available for the D44 for some time.

-Dan

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you talking about the situtation where when you have one wheel in the air and the other on the ground with a regular open diff. the wheel in the air gets all the power? The electronic stability control doesn't transfer power to the other wheel when one loses traction. It brakes the wheel that is free spinning to keep you from losing control in a skid. A limited slip transfers a small amount to the other wheel to keep you moving and a locker is 50/50 all the time. Usually when you are in 4wd the ESC is off anyway.
so using the brake wouldn't help me if one of my back tires is off the ground? And I know its not the "same" thing as posi, but was asking if it would help me by if I wanted to wait a little while before tearing into the rearend of a practically new Jeep.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
so using the brake wouldn't help me if one of my back tires is off the ground? And I know its not the "same" thing as posi, but was asking if it would help me by if I wanted to wait a little while before tearing into the rearend of a practically new Jeep.

Thats an old school thing....the New JK's wont react the same with Traction control....You do have BLD(brake lock differntial) built in to the TC feature of your JK...thus why the "old school" method wont work.

if your concerned that you need a locker....get a locker. I love my Eaton ELocker.

Also, if you have a manual tranny...you can only install a selectable locker in the rear.

DO NOT get a Detroit or Yukon Grizzy or any other "auto" locker. You will have issues with the tranny and limp mode...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats an old school thing....the New JK's wont react the same with Traction control....You do have BLD(brake lock differntial) built in to the TC feature of your JK...thus why the "old school" method wont work.

if your concerned that you need a locker....get a locker. I love my Eaton ELocker.

Also, if you have a manual tranny...you can only install a selectable locker in the rear.

DO NOT get a Detroit or Yukon Grizzy or any other "auto" locker. You will have issues with the tranny and limp mode...
well I need limited slip more than anything. I was just thinking if I had to open it up I might as well get a locker. 2 shops did suggest getting a Yukon Dura Grip limited slip. Do you know anything about those? Or do you have a good suggestion for a good limited slip to install? I'm more leaning towards the limited slip as I don't NEED a locker and it would save me a little money.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
well I need limited slip more than anything. I was just thinking if I had to open it up I might as well get a locker. 2 shops did suggest getting a Yukon Dura Grip limited slip. Do you know anything about those? Or do you have a good suggestion for a good limited slip to install? I'm more leaning towards the limited slip as I don't NEED a locker and it would save me a little money.
I want to clarify the auto locker issue with the 2012+ it's only auto transmissions not manual.

There is also the dura Trac d which is made by Detroit....either would be good.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I have the Auburn Gear ECTED in my JK. It's a limited slip that will "lock" when you hit the switch in the cab. It works differently than other selectable lockers. What it really does is use the electromagnet to compress the limited slip clutch plates together so that they don't slip.

I daily drive my JK and had great performance in the snow with the limited slip action that it has when not locked. When I go off road and switch on the locker, it stops wheel slip just as good as any other selectable locker out there, even with 35" tires.

Only problem is that it's probably over your $700 budget if I recall.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I take that back, they are $739. Defiently doable. So if i understand right, they arent a "true" locker but function like one?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I take that back, they are $739. Defiently doable. So if i understand right, they arent a "true" locker but function like one?
Its a locker...just how it engages is a bit different vs air or electric....but its a locker.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh ok, having a locker would be about $200 extra over just the plain limited slip. Debating on whether it would be worth it or not considering I'm not planning on going on level 4s.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
1,249 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yup..tru trac....sorry abou that.
One concern I have about the locker mentioned above, the ECTED, is that it requires a small hole to be drilled. I'm sure they probably put a good grommet in to seal the hole, but how likely are you to have an issue with water getting into the diff when crossing water like creeks and such? That's one think I do like about going with the LS, no holes being drilled to potentially cause a leak.

·
He's no good to me dead.
1,070 Posts
One concern I have about the locker mentioned above, the ECTED, is that it requires a small hole to be drilled. I'm sure they probably put a good grommet in to seal the hole, but how likely are you to have an issue with water getting into the diff when crossing water like creeks and such? That's one think I do like about going with the LS, no holes being drilled to potentially cause a leak.
Nothing to do with the post, sorry. ia ia cthulu flaghellan

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
It comes with a rubber grommet. I put RTV around the rubber piece right before I put it into the hole that was drilled. I also injected some RTV into the hole where the wires pull through. Finally, I put a layer of RTV around the outside of the rubber grommet after it was in the hole just to be sure.

Water may get into the diff but it'll have to be through the breather.

And yes, the ECTED is not a "true locker" in the sense that the ARB, E-Locker, OX, etc. have teeth that engage when locked. All it does is compress the limited slip clutch packs tight enough to keep them from slipping. They say it will lock up to a 37" tire on a Dana 44. I've never seen it slip once with my 35's.

·
Registered
430 Posts
OP - I recently had the Yukon Dura Grip limited slip installed in my 2012 JK. It's working GREAT! Couldn't be happier.

There are four of those purple springs, with 400 pds of pre-load, constantly pushing to keep the axles turning together. It's always working. No buttons to push, no wheelspin needed before kicking in, it just grabs and goes. Much more aggressive than the stock limited slip, and it works well with the factory BLD function too.

This photo was taken yesterday when I had to get past the snow drift, here in Washington State:

Good traction on the passenger side. Sloppy, nasty melting snow on the driver's side. The Jeep just motored right on through, no problem.

I've had factory and aftermarket limited slips in my rigs for 30 years now and I really like a good, aggressive limited slip in the rear diff. The rig does have an air locker in the front diff.

Regards, CW

1 - 20 of 20 Posts