Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new here with my first Jeep which is a 2015 Wrangler Rubicon Hard Rock. Love just about everything about it except the undefeatable electronic stability control.

Is there any way to remove this "correctly"? As in it still keeps ABS, doesn't disable other functions etc.

Can any of the ECM tuners remove it?

Unfortunately since I think I know the answer already:nonono::
Will pulling a certain fuse temporarily disable it?

Does cutting the wire under console work for 2015 models? Purple wire w/ light blue stripe?

Thanks,
-Dave

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hello, new here with my first Jeep which is a 2015 Wrangler Rubicon Hard Rock. Love just about everything about it except the undefeatable electronic stability control.

Is there any way to remove this "correctly"? As in it still keeps ABS, doesn't disable other functions etc.
Thanks,
-Dave
Well, first of all, I question the wisdom of what you wish to do.

For the record, I have a 2015 JKU-R Hard Rock - in Copper-Brown.

Under "normal" driving conditions (on pavement) the ESC system is your friend. It can sense and correct for things that you don't even realize are happening.

I know it is against the "Male Code of Ethics". But if you will look in your USERS MANUAL, page 111 and read the portion under instrument warning cluster lights, you will see that at the press of a button you can turn off the ESC.

When you shift to 4-LOW, the ESC is automatically disengaged.

There is more information in the OWNERS MANUAL on page 325, 469, 477-478 (read this if nothing else) and 481.

So as you see, you CAN turn it off for those situations where you feel you need to, yet still use it for those times when you do not specifically need to turn it off. I call that the best of both worlds.

If you still wish to disable it permanently, someone else will need to tell you how. I was happy with the above info and did not look into it any further.

Mike -- El Paso, TX.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I should have specified I would want it off completely in 2H. I did know about the partial off for 2H which really isn't enough for me. It allows wheel spin but the second you even get 1degree sideways it goes into full panic mode. Didn't know you could go full off in 4H so that's good to know.

Guess I'm just not used to new car nanny systems lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BTW nice color choice with the Copper Brown. I don't think I've even seen any around here with that.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Maybe the 2016 is different but my manual says that if you hold the button for 5 seconds, it shuts if off completely.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm pretty sure that's just for 4H though. 2H is either full on or partial off. I could be wrong though. I will try it next snow storm.

So far HP Tuners say they cant disable it through there software. :(

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I'm pretty sure that's just for 4H though. 2H is either full on or partial off. I could be wrong though. I will try it next snow storm.

So far HP Tuners say they cant disable it through there software. :(
Can or can't ? cause it should rear it can...
There are two ways to do this with HPtuners, permanently, simply changing the displacement value of your engine from 3.6 to 0 in your factory pcm calibration, and flashing a new calibration that way, which would completely disable anything that relates to stability control, if you want it back, you have to change the value from 0 to 3.6 and flash the tune once again.

Or temporarily from the HPT scanner, you simply toggle a switch to enable/disable traction control. this is not permanent, if you disabled it this way, once you turn off the Jeep, the setting should get re-enable by itself after you start the engine the next time.

I don't usually disable it cause i haven't found a need for it, and i don't care doing doing donuts and stuff like that, so my traction control is unmolested, i have modified torque management just a tiny bit, but that's different conversation :)

·
Registered
509 Posts
And why do you want to completely disable it? I once had to make a VERY rapid turn to avoid an accident at about 75 MPH, and when I wrenched the wheel hard to the left and back to the right, the ESC did a great job of helping me out. I feel that, as hard as I had to turn, there was a good chance I might have skidded out of control and possibly rolled an older Jeep, so I was glad to have it!

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
So as you see, you CAN turn it off for those situations where you feel you need to, yet still use it for those times when you do not specifically need to turn it off. I call that the best of both worlds.
To clarify for all of the responders like this one, "Off" is not off. There is the one-push "Partial Off" and the five-second-push "Full Off", but even for Full Off, the manual states:
"When in ESC Full Off mode, ESC and TCS, except for the Brake Limited Differential (BLD) feature described in the TCS section, are turned off until the vehicle reaches an approximate speed of 40 mph (64 km/h)."
For some off-road situations, this just isn't "off enough". It's a nuisance that I've experienced in loose rock, snow, and sand. Similar to the OP, I'd appreciate the ability to have a "No Lie, It's Really Off" button for those times.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Well Gang,
I too kind-a wonder why anyone would want it (ESC) off? I'm certainly not new to Jeeping but, am new to ESC. I did a tad bit of research and found this dated article that does a fair job of explanation of not only it but, the "BLD" or, Brake Lock Differential. Most of you experienced JK owners already know the operation of both of these systems but, it was a pretty cool article to read anyway.
Scott

https://blog.fcanorthamerica.com/2008/02/11/jeep-brake-traction-control-explained/

·
Registered
335 Posts
I wish it wasn't so 'sensitive', i.e. allowing you to slide gently around a corner in the snow.

But it does work.

Last winter driving on the highway at 65 mph not an issue until the car ahead of me to the left lost control and veered into my line where I had to hit the brake. Slowing wasn't an issue, but then decided to change lanes to the left as the guy in front of me was spinning out on the shoulder/right lane. As I was changing lanes and slowing to give him room hit a patch of black ice. The Jeep kept everything in check without drama quicker than I could as I was correcting the oversteer. Even as I was keeping up with the ECS everything remained stable.

Would I have crashed without it? doubt it as i was responding appropriately.

Did it hinder me? No, but it was odd having to try and correct how I thought the Jeep would respond.

Did it help? If I wasn't paying attention, or the driver didn't know what to do I have no doubt it would have helped avoid over correction.

FWIW I do enjoy turning off the ESC/traction control in my Mercedes and enjoy long smoking drifts, but for everyday driving, even spirited it is nice having ESC. The difference between my Jeep and Mercedes (with respect to ESC) is that the ESC is less intrusive in the Mercedes; probably not a bad thing.

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
The most efficient way to eliminate all nanny systems is to make the wire under the console switchable. I leave everything active for normal highway use but there are times for those of us who actually know how to drive, it is nothing but a hindrance. There are certain situations in mud, snow, water or other mediums where wheel speed is imperative to maintain momentum. These times are few and far between and I can't imagine the western rock crawlers ever running into these situations at all but in the Midwest east and south they are present. The same goes for the locker bypass on the Rubicons. There are times in 4 HI when nothing else will do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:dance:

Taking out J6 fuse does the trick. Will be wiring a switch at some point but for now much better. Winter just became much more fun!

·
Registered
783 Posts
Heres my story about the 4Hi Partial Disable. I was recently on a offroad dirt gravel road. It had numerous layers of Ice, snow, ice, snow etc... It was driveable do to having a thin layer of snow over the ice. Within 30 minutes, rain mist started.
I decided to see how things would handle on the very slick ice. I hit the Partial Disable and I KEPT MY FINGER ON THE BUTTON AS I KNEW WHAT WOULD HAPPEN. Yep, it started slipping all over the place and I hit the button again. And the slipping stopped. This is actually my second time I was in Partial Disable and the Jeep lost traction on a different incident. I see no justification for turning it off.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Heres my story about the 4Hi Partial Disable. I was recently on a offroad dirt gravel road. It had numerous layers of Ice, snow, ice, snow etc... It was driveable do to having a thin layer of snow over the ice. Within 30 minutes, rain mist started.
I decided to see how things would handle on the very slick ice. I hit the Partial Disable and I KEPT MY FINGER ON THE BUTTON AS I KNEW WHAT WOULD HAPPEN. Yep, it started slipping all over the place and I hit the button again. And the slipping stopped. This is actually my second time I was in Partial Disable and the Jeep lost traction on a different incident. I see no justification for turning it off.
Stop by sometime and I'll show you a stretch we call slot car alley. It's a nice little scenic trail through the woods/pasture until you hit the 1/4 mile of clay.

·
Registered
783 Posts
This seems to be a problem with this Disable Button. Everyone seems to know when to use but me then I'm suppost to come and visit and see if I can wreck my Jeep to prove something.

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
This seems to be a problem with this Disable Button. Everyone seems to know when to use but me then I'm suppost to come and visit and see if I can wreck my Jeep to prove something.

Whether on not you wreck is dependent on your abilities to drive without a babysitter. For those of us who learned to drive without such crutches they are more of a hindrance than an aid and they restrict the capability of both the driver and vehicle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Here are my 2 cents, I searched this thread because winter is more fun without traction control. I have two teenagers that are learning to drive, I take them to abandoned parking lots to teach them how to handle a car that is skidding or sliding so they know what it feels like and how to handle it under controlled situations. Hopefully, these little lessons will help them if the situation is ever real. I don't buy my kids cars they have to work to buy their own they cannot afford cars that have traction control standard. Until they have a car of their own they have to learn in mine which has an overbearing traction control system that I should be able to disable when I want to.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts