Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having quite a few problems with the ESP engaging when it shouldn't after having my lift installed. Is there any fix for this issue??

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
How tall is your lift?

I've read Joe saying that anything over 3" needs a drop pitman arm on the new JK's for that reason.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have been having quite a few problems with the ESP engaging when it shouldn't after having my lift installed. Is there any fix for this issue??
(getting the "magic 8 ball" out of mothballs now)

Is it a Full Traction lift?? Or a Rubicon Express lift?? Was the SAS parameters reprogrammed???? More info please. Wheel/tire size, lift kit brand and height, Rubicon or Sahara or X??

Joe

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is the deal, the ESP is not engaging everytime I take a corner, just once in a while when I take corners that curve to the left and almost everytime when I take corners that curve to the right. Even if I push the button to turn the ESP off it still engages. Is there not a way to disable the ESP system? I thought about just pulling the ESP fuse, but of course since the ESP is part of ABS system the ESP and ABS system fuse are one and the same. Any advice??

·
Registered
72 Posts
just wait for absolute to reply theres a way of reprogramming the paramaters and such

·
Registered
339 Posts
Sorry it took so long, I was sick as crap last night.....:( There is no reason to disconnect the ESP program. t just needs to be "tuned" First off, was the Jeep aligned PROPERLY? Did the kit come with a drop pitman arm? I have been "fixing" some of the lifted JK's in Phoenix that have the same problem. Usually its the lower cost kits that are having problems. From what I have seen lately, its the kits that keep the stock trac-bars and use "relocation" brackets and dont have a drop pitman arm. The system can be set up to work with the lift, but it requires someone who understands it. Its also gonna require a few new parts..... The JK is not a Jeep to skimp on with lift kits. If its 3" or higher, IT WILL NEED A DROP PITMAN ARM for all of the electronics to function correctly. If you would like to give me a call at the shop, I would be more than happy to help you out with it, as much as I can.

Joe

·
Registered
339 Posts
It's a 3" Pro Comp lift, 33" tires, X. I have no Idea what SAS parameters are....

Okay. Need a little more info on what kit you got. I just checked Pro-comp and could not find ANY 3" kit...:confused: Can you tell me what EXACTLY came with the kit/ got changed? After looking at the kits they have, They dont really adress any of the problems. Only the most expensive 4" kit has control arms or a trac bar for that matter, and none of the kits have pitman arms. That should be interesting, a 4" JK lift with NO arms, trac-bar or pitman arm....:eek:

Joe

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I looked at my reciept and it is a 4" front and 2" rear Pro Comp lift. Is there any way to get a pitman arm so that I can get rid of this annoying issue? I appreciate your help Joe.

Matt

·
Registered
339 Posts
I looked at my reciept and it is a 4" front and 2" rear Pro Comp lift. Is there any way to get a pitman arm so that I can get rid of this annoying issue? I appreciate your help Joe.

Matt

Matt, Your gonna need more than a pitman arm to fix your problems, But If thats all you want, I do have them in stock. I dont understand why they would do a 2" lift in the rear and 4" up front. Can you tell me EXACTLY what was changed/installed on your jeep?? Control arms? Springs? Shocks? Brake lines? Driveshafts? Sway bar end links? Trac-bars? Trac-Bar relocation brackets?

Joe

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In the front the springs, shocks, and control arms were changed out. In the rear, as far as what the guys at 4wheel parts said, spacers were added. If you can tell me what I would need to add/replace I would really appreciate it. I don't really plan on ever doing any serious rock crawling. The most I am going to do is some mild offroading (trails and the beach since I'm in Hawaii). Thanks!

·
Registered
339 Posts
In the front the springs, shocks, and control arms were changed out. In the rear, as far as what the guys at 4wheel parts said, spacers were added. If you can tell me what I would need to add/replace I would really appreciate it. I don't really plan on ever doing any serious rock crawling. The most I am going to do is some mild offroading (trails and the beach since I'm in Hawaii). Thanks!
Wow. I hope they did more than that. Did they put rear shocks on it?? If they put 4" springs up front with NO provisions for the trac-bar (either bracket or new bar) and no pitman arm Thats the START of your problem. Is there a way you can take some pics of the stuff they installed and post them?? I hate to tell you this, but I would suggest taking it back to them and either getting a new kit or getting your $$ back. Its not really the fact that you dont plan on wheeling it hard, the Jeep doesnt know that. All it knows is that none on the parts are working together. Whats bad with this Jeep, thats different with the TJ, is its alot more "forgiving" for being able to piece together a cheap lift kit that will lift it to get bigger tires, but all of the electronics that moniter things that dont work correctly with the "throw together lift" ( Sorry, I really mean no dis-respect, but thats what it is) is what is REALLY causing your problem. You are going to add piece by piece to get it right, and its going to cost 3X more than getting a kit that covers all the bases.

Joe

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They definitely put shocks on the rear too, I forgot to mention that. I will take some pictures when I get a chance and send them to you.

·
Registered
339 Posts
WOW. Where do I start. Ok. You need to go back and get your $$ back. What they installed was just a bunch of throw together pieces. You WILL not fix your ESP with these components installed. PERIOD.Here is what I see in the pictures, then I will go into the issues.

FRONT

4" Lift spring
Sway bar end links
Brake line drop brackets
Shocks

REAR

2" Spring Spacer
Sway bar end links
Brake line drop brackets
Shocks
Trac bar bracket

OK. Here we go. They lifted the front of your JK with 4" springs and did nothing to compensate or correct any of the steering/trac-bar issues. No longer control arms, either upper or lower, No pitman arm, no trac bar or bracket. The SAS is getting all confused between the lift, the lack of a pitman arm, and lack of trac-bar OR bracket. This needs to be adressed.

As for the rear, that silly bracket WILL break the factory bracket right off of the axle. I have seen it happen At least 3 times in the last month.

Bottom line. They stole your $$, LIED to you about the "lift kit" they installed (try to find a PRO-COMP kit with those parts) and basicly had zero idea of how a New JK works. Honestly man, this is not going to work for this Jeep. Stuff like this was done and worked on the TJ, but it aint gonna fly on the JK. Go get your $$ back. If you want to talk about it, please give me a call at the shop and we can talk some more about it.

Joe

·
Registered
5 Posts
Questions

I've read in multiple places that people are having problems with their electronic stability program after putting lifts on their jeep. Is anyone having problems with it stock? I bought my jeep a couple months ago and have 4000 miles on it. My esp has come on 3 or 4 times while driving on a normal road. Once I was taking a slow gradual turn to the right (approx. 10mph), once I was driving in a straight line, and the most recent time I came around a right hand corner and needed to stop for traffic and a red light. My problem is that the stability program does not appear to be coming on to help with traction. All the times it has happened it's been dry roads and I didn't feel off balance. Instead, the light comes on when I hit my brakes which causes: the jeep to shake, make grinding noise, and prevent me from braking. The most recent time it happened the shaking put me into the oncoming lane of traffic and I almost rear ended the car in front of me.

I took it in to the dealer and they told me that they ran it on the computer and no errors came up. He said that the program is very sensitive and that Chrysler is aware of the problem and are going to find a way to fix it. I was told that there is nothing that they can do to solve the problem and to continue driving it. When I questioned what happens if it causes me to get into an accident, he said that he guesses I'll be sueing Chrysler.

I don't know what to do from this point forward. I'm nervous when I hit the brakes, because I don't know when it might prevent me from stopping. My friends bought a 4 door a couple weeks after I did and their light has never came on (with 3000 miles on it). My husband's Dodge Ram has the same stability program in it and we've never had a problem with his vehicle either. His boss said that they should replace our Jeep since they are unable to fix it. When we called Chrysler, they did not care to hear about the problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
ESP/BAS Problems

I've read in multiple places that people are having problems with their electronic stability program after putting lifts on their jeep. Is anyone having problems with it stock? I bought my jeep a couple months ago and have 4000 miles on it. My esp has come on 3 or 4 times while driving on a normal road. Once I was taking a slow gradual turn to the right (approx. 10mph), once I was driving in a straight line, and the most recent time I came around a right hand corner and needed to stop for traffic and a red light. My problem is that the stability program does not appear to be coming on to help with traction. All the times it has happened it's been dry roads and I didn't feel off balance. Instead, the light comes on when I hit my brakes which causes: the jeep to shake, make grinding noise, and prevent me from braking. The most recent time it happened the shaking put me into the oncoming lane of traffic and I almost rear ended the car in front of me.

I took it in to the dealer and they told me that they ran it on the computer and no errors came up. He said that the program is very sensitive and that Chrysler is aware of the problem and are going to find a way to fix it. I was told that there is nothing that they can do to solve the problem and to continue driving it. When I questioned what happens if it causes me to get into an accident, he said that he guesses I'll be sueing Chrysler.

I don't know what to do from this point forward. I'm nervous when I hit the brakes, because I don't know when it might prevent me from stopping. My friends bought a 4 door a couple weeks after I did and their light has never came on (with 3000 miles on it). My husband's Dodge Ram has the same stability program in it and we've never had a problem with his vehicle either. His boss said that they should replace our Jeep since they are unable to fix it. When we called Chrysler, they did not care to hear about the problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
The ESP/BAS problems may be due to a sensor known as the "dynamic sensor." This sensor is located near the center of the vehicle and it is used to determine the tilt and G-forces. This sensor is designed to detect a potential roll-over condition and the ESP module uses info from the sensor to apply brakes automatically in an attempt to prevent a roll-over. The real problem is that sensors do fail and when this sensor actually fails the module causes a brake to be applied. In the wrong conditions, such a braking action can actually cause an accident. The following mpg videos show a defective dynamic sensor telling my front right brake to be applied automatically on a dry level road surface.

I do want to emphasize that this is not a Jeep specific problem because the US Govt has a law possibly forcing these sensors be installed into every 2012 production line vehicle. Jeep is seeing the problem first because Jeep started testing the sensor sometime around 2007.

VIDEOS of interest:

http://ecjones.org/mov53105.mpg

http://ecjones.org/mov53107.mpg

Dr Ed

1 - 17 of 17 Posts