Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Cali emission Jeep, 2004 TJ Wrangler Sport edition, living in Mass. Now every time I've had exhaust issues the problems revolve around have to deal with the fact that my jeep I guess has extra parts/protocols being as that it's a Cali standard for emissions. Now forgive me if this is incorrect, that's why I am asking and trying to find out. If I don't live in the state where the stricter emissions are expected you'd think it would just be something I could bypass but that doesn't seem to be the case. I am throwing a half dozen codes and slowly, slowly, but surely trying to work through the possible issues but I find myself running into questions between being Cali or Non-Cali emissions in every forum topic I search through.

Could someone just briefly explain why a Cali emissions Jeep would be sold outside Cali or I think New York, I keep seeing New York mentioned when buying certain exhaust parts too. It seems and again I could be mistaken that this emission standard is so much more difficult to work with especially if you don't have to attain that standard legally if you're living outside those two states.

Next question is I am looking through catalytic converters and even though the parts look identical there's one for Cali and Non-Cali. What exactly is the difference between the two. I have searched through the forums and again forgive me if I missed something but I couldn't find a straight answer for this particular question. I understand why there are stricter emission standards in those states but am curious what they do to the catalytic parts to help solve the emissions problem. More precious metals in the actual parts?

Thank you for taking a look. As I am going through the forums these little things have been driving me a little nuts especially since I can't get a straight answer.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Non cali has 2 O2 sensors and the cali version has 4 O2 sensors. I can't imagine putting a non cali on a cali emission jeep since the computer is configured for 4 sensors.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Not all jeeps with 4 o2 sensors are from cali. They are factory with 4 I think 2003 and up. Just cause the jeep has cali emissions doesn't mean you can't move from cali therfore you would still have cali emissions is say Montana

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have an 05 Cali LJ and also have been researching this issue related to the cat converters. From all that I can gather, the difference between a cali and non-cali converter is that t he mfr has been specifically tested it on the vehicle model in question to certify passing cali regs. There is no specific construction difference.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have an 05 Cali LJ and also have been researching this issue related to the cat converters. From all that I can gather, the difference between a cali and non-cali converter is that t he mfr has been specifically tested it on the vehicle model in question to certify passing cali regs. There is no specific construction difference.
Alright, then what I am thinking is the mfr's are putting together the exact same product for all models. Some mfr's go through the process of having their products tested for cali emissions so they can be sold for all and some other mfr's don't bother. Maybe cost related or something.

From what I've seen a lot of the cat products look identical just different vague company names, even the prices are pretty consistent. That's why originally I couldn't think as to what they were manufacturing differently to pass cali standards but keep costs similar.

I appreciate the reply, now back to working out those codes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check these out...

These are a couple of the parts I was curious about...

DAVICO MANUFACTURING 59301 and the BOSAL 0793140 look to be the exact same situation. There has to be a reason there's close to $600 dollar difference from the list price on mopar, part looks the same? Again I might be beating a dead horse here but for whatever reason I just need to know why. Is there really a difference or is Mopar just out for blood with their prices?

·
Registered
15 Posts
here is a link about cats. The rare metals used to create the cat chemical reactions are very expensive. The way they are applied to the honeycomb is called washing. The higher quality cats have a thicker more porous layer with more material so cost more. while the ultra cheap models will work, they won't last as long or perform as well.
What you need to know about choosing a converter | eBay

1 - 8 of 8 Posts