Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Oilfield Jeeper
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,

I saw a thread here a while back where someone did the same thing, but I plan to eliminate the vacuum actuator for kicking the front differential into 4 wheel drive. I plan to use something to the effect of a throttle lock cable with a locking lever to keep it engaged, "kinda like the OX Locker setup"

The thing is, I do not want to get knee deep into this project without having an idea of what else I am going to need to do this.
I'd rather fabricate something myself, that way I know it is mine & unique. Always more fun making it yourself.

Any pointers or advice on this project would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
I'd just swap an entirely new axle in, that D30 axle with the sliding locking sleeve is particularly weak. Just grab a axle at the wreckers from a newer model that did away with the actuator.

·
Oilfield Jeeper
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd just swap an entirely new axle in, that D30 axle with the sliding locking sleeve is particularly weak. Just grab a axle at the wreckers from a newer model that did away with the actuator.
LOL, Didn't think about that one ... Definitely an idea. What year model would be best to go with?

·
Oilfield Jeeper
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, the more I think about this, I'm just going to keep my eyes out for a set of Dana 44's out of a Rubicon for the final setup for this Jeep (unless my mind get's changed for me). So, for now, I want to just eliminate the vacuum module & be happy with what I have. Anyone else done this mod???

·
Registered
12,000 Posts
throw a tj/xj solid passenger axle shaft in and call it good..

any other model of wrangler is going to give you problems as none of them are set up for leaf springs.. the TJ front D30s are useless as they are low pinion, an XJ would be a good candidate but then you're looking at essentially the same axle just without the "weaker" CAD, and you'll have to modify the axle for perches and mounts..

·
Oilfield Jeeper
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
throw a tj/xj solid passenger axle shaft in and call it good..

any other model of wrangler is going to give you problems as none of them are set up for leaf springs.. the TJ front D30s are useless as they are low pinion, an XJ would be a good candidate but then you're looking at essentially the same axle just without the "weaker" CAD, and you'll have to modify the axle for perches and mounts..
That sounds most logical. Thanks for the input :thumb:

·
Registered
12,000 Posts
no problem! im running a tj shaft, its nice to never worry about vacuum motors.. PO had switched to it before selling me the jeep, also had a posi-lok cable on it which i ended up just giving to my friend since i didnt need it and he was broke at the time..

·
Oilfield Jeeper
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, dumb question. What year model TJ/XJ would I need to pull one of these out of? Also, what extra parts should I get, look out for. Sorry, but I'm new to swapping out axle parts, etc.

·
Registered
12,000 Posts
Well your best bet would probably be to go to a junkyard that is a "pull it yourself" style, ie you bring in your tools and pull the part yourself.. if the junkyards there are anything like they are here, wrangler parts wont be at a "you pull" junkyard, they'll be at a "we pull you pay lots more" junkyard.. so the XJ is your best bet.. they stopped using the CAD in 1991 with the XJs, and its fairly obvious when you look at the axle, you wont see the big "box" on the passenger side.. In addition to the axle shaft you may also need a new u-joint, and will for sure want to get a seal from a parts store. The 2 piece shaft is thicker than the solid shaft, as such the outer seal (near the CAD) will leave a large gap around the shaft and not seal anything. Ask the parts store what they recommend to use to install, its usually a combo of seal puller and slide hammer, which they typically have available for rent.

·
Oilfield Jeeper
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i'll also add that 96-99 cherokee axle shafts are more desirable as they use larger u-joints..
Thanks a ton!!! Actually, there is a wrecking yard here that I'm pretty sure I could get the whole unit from one of those relatively cheap.

Thanks again !!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts