Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings.

This past weekend I decided to put new brakes on the back of my Jeep. After I got the rotors off I saw what looked like a Chernobyl landscape but it was actually just my emergency brake begging to be changed also. Here's where I ran into trouble. There are two springs that run alongside each other on the the brake cable side. I'd be embarrassed to tell you how long I spent trying to stretch the spring down from one brake pad to the other. There is very little space to work with and the spring is surprisingly tight. I'm hoping maybe someone here knows a trick to get these springs attached. Thankfully I have a second car to get to work with because my Jeep is on jack stands in my driveway all because I can't get these springs attached. Any help is appreciated!

2010 JK Unlimited Sport

:atomic:

·
Registered
305 Posts
From memory, (It was several years ago), when I replaced mine, I put the springs on then used the big bastard screwdriver in the set, (you know, the one that has the metal shaft running all the way through so you can used it as a chisel), to lever the brake lining up into position.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hello people. Can you help recommend an easy option to replace the emergency/parking brake kit? I have the cables running all the way back to the rear tires...However I bought the Jeep used and the previous owner took out all of the parking brake features up to the cables.

Has anyone bought a kit that is easy to install and if so have you found a video or instructions of how to?

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Hello people. Can you help recommend an easy option to replace the emergency/parking brake kit? I have the cables running all the way back to the rear tires...However I bought the Jeep used and the previous owner took out all of the parking brake features up to the cables.

Has anyone bought a kit that is easy to install and if so have you found a video or instructions of how to?
Great timing. I was just watching videos on how to adjust parking brake pads, since I am upgrading brakes and have things apart.
Here is a link to a video that shows how to change them out and they offer a kit for it as well.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Great timing. I was just watching videos on how to adjust parking brake pads, since I am upgrading brakes and have things apart.
Here is a link to a video that shows how to change them out and they offer a kit for it as well.
Good Luck!
SO that is the one that I watched as well. Then I called them up to see if I could order the parts, and they said they do not stock them>LOL. Do you know the link to the kit?

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
I just did this. attach the back spring to both shoes and maneuver it in place, then add the front spring

·
Registered
447 Posts
@Jedi9 ty you sound knowledgeable in this department. I ordered these 2 of these https://www.walmart.com/ip/Crown-Automotive-Backing-Plate-Assembly-52125175AA/137221157 Crown said they were currently out of stock and they said this was a great deal 79.99 each. There is only 2 more left as it was at 4 before my order ( @Dandy1008 if you need them).

DO you think I will need this cam lever that you are referring to? Or is that what is at the top of the picture in the walmart purchase?

I attached a picture of what I have as I believe I only have this wire that I am pointing at.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
SO that is the one that I watched as well. Then I called them up to see if I could order the parts, and they said they do not stock them>LOL. Do you know the link to the kit?
Sorry, I don't know. I actually didn't look at the link, all the links are for tools, not parts. I would imagine that the parts are available through your Mopar dealer.
It also appears that Extreme Terrain has a parts kits

And a shoe kit

·
Registered
447 Posts
Sorry, I don't know. I actually didn't look at the link, all the links are for tools, not parts. I would imagine that the parts are available through your Mopar dealer.
It also appears that Extreme Terrain has a parts kits

And a shoe kit
That is a bit expensive for what you get here is another link Rear Brake Backing Plate 2007-11 Dodge Nitro 11-12 Jeep Liberty 07-14 Wrangler | eBay

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Back spring first, then the front spring. It's still a b!tch though.

·
Premium Member
7,049 Posts
Back spring first, then the front spring. It's still a b!tch though.
Tell me about it. I replaced the left side park brake shoes on my wife's JK the other day. Although I watched the video that was posted earlier in this thread it still took me over 6 hours of fighting with those springs and one of the bottom shoe retainer clips. I will leave the right side until that pad falls apart like the left side did for whatever reason.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Tell me about it. I replaced the left side park brake shoes on my wife's JK the other day. Although I watched the video that was posted earlier in this thread it still took me over 6 hours of fighting with those springs and one of the bottom shoe retainer clips. I will leave the right side until that pad falls apart like the left side did for whatever reason.
Whoa 6 hours! I believe you have me scared. I bought the complete kit that I take the axle out and slide it on and attach the cable...I hope that's how it is done. I posted the ebay listing above. It was $96 for both sides. They shipped them out already. Hopefully i will start next weekend.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I did this as well. My e-brakes hadn't worked right for some time so I finally took the rotor to take a look. They look so dirty and nasty I decided to replace them. After several hours on the drivers side I decided to just clean up and adjust the passenger side. Maybe I'll do that when I get bit by that radioactive spider and get some superpowers.

On a side note If I were you I'd get the special tool above. Probably worth it's weight in Purell.

·
Premium Member
7,049 Posts
Whoa 6 hours! I believe you have me scared. I bought the complete kit that I take the axle out and slide it on and attach the cable...I hope that's how it is done. I posted the ebay listing above. It was $96 for both sides. They shipped them out already. Hopefully i will start next weekend.
Other than watching the video several times that was posted earlier, the only other thing I would suggest is to take several detailed pics of everything from different angles before you start removing any springs, etc. I could probably change mine a little faster now that I've done it once but I'm still not going to replace the shoes on the other side until absolutely necessary. The new shoes will remain in a box in the cabinet until then. I've replaced many disc brake pads and rotors in vehicles over the years and I think the parking brake replacement was 10x harder.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts