Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
furlong24 said:
rear end, knocking and poping on left turns.. i need help asap
Pull the cover off and see if you've got any teeth that have broke. Sounds like spider gears blown.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Sounds like a u-joint to me. Climb on under and check for any play in the joints, If it's to the point where it's popping and clicking you should be able to tell just by looking at it. Also just because theres no play in the joint doesn't mean it's still good. I had a rear joint that was clicking and popping when I turned and it had no play in the joint. I took it out anyway and the needle bearings inside the cap were basically ground to dust, replaced and all was merry.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Check your shock and control arm mounts/bushings. A cv joint pops when turning when its on a front wheel drive car, but I doubt turning has an effect on d/s. Especially in one direction only.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
drving off a curb would really break a gear?
like really.. i been offroad and fine but a curb takes it out?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
All rash decisions -

How sure are you it's the rear?
Have someone stand next to it while you turn to listen.

If it is the rear, jack up one rear wheel - trans in neutral. Spin the wheel by hand,
You should be able to hear it crunching and binding if it is the spyders.

But sounds can be very deceiving, look at the front axle u-joints for loose caps, or rust particles coming out. Jacking up the wheels could also help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts