Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1987 Wrangler YJ -4.2L 258 I6- Has no emission control system at all all the vaccum lines that go to it are plugged I don't even have a computer to go into my carburetor. I was wondering If I have to go buy the whole system (expensive) or is there some way of fixing it. I do have The CTO, The EGR Valve The PCV Valves and thats about it. i have a racing air cleaner on there so nothing except the pcv hose connects to it. I bought it this way. I was just wondering if theres any way I could live it like this but change it so it doesn't have a 2000RPM idle.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
you shouldn't have a 2K idle if the work was done correctly. first, is the carb stock? how about the distributor? has it been nuttered? we need to know whats been done before we can help you.
also, check for vacuum leaks, they can cause a high idle.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Im in a similar situation, the prev owner put a motorcraft 2150 and cut all the computer wires and disconnected the vacuum lines. luckily he left the pulse air system in tact. I would get a manual and start tracing whats there and whats not vacuum lines and wires. Ive gotten what I( didnt have from ebay and local salvage yards. on my 87 the ECU is behind the glovebox.

Im doing it back to stock since im on a budget with the original carb and distributor, ill let you know how that goes in a few days.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts