Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been chasing rabbits trying to clear the check engine light on my 02 TJ 4.0. So far I have replaced the gas cap twice and replaced all the soft hoses in the system. In addition to not fixing the problem, I am now throwing a code for "Throttle Position Sensor Low Voltage" So i have a couple questions....

1. is the new code "Throttle Position Sensor Low Voltage" in anyway related to my original problem "Large leak detected in Evap System"?

2. What should i try next? Autozone clerk suggested replacing the canister purge valve solenoid....thoughts?

·
Registered
258 Posts
1. is the new code "Throttle Position Sensor Low Voltage" in anyway related to my original problem "Large leak detected in Evap System"?
No, this is a separate problem-start with changing to a new throttle position sensor-when they fail they usually stop putting out a high enough voltage. A new one should make the code go away.

2. What should i try next? Autozone clerk suggested replacing the canister purge valve solenoid....thoughts?[/QUOTE]
Do you still have an evaporative leak code? It sounds like you have corrected that code?
Purge valve connecting hoses are common to be cracked for this problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I still have the evap leak code and its causing major frustrations...all the soft hoses have been replaced and connections look good. the purge valve runs about $39 so i figure i will try that next.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Many service garages have a smoke generating machine that pumps into the evaporative system. It will find the leak quickly and could help save your sanity to have them track it down. There are a lot of places these things can leak-

·
Registered
48 Posts
Take off your catalytic converters and check yo make sure they are not plugged up or burnt out. I recently purchased an 03 that had an engine light on but ran fine. Brought it to my uncle who has a muffler shop and he took the entire exhaust system out. Both catalytic converters that hook to the the manifold were blown out and the large one down stream next to the muffler was plugged up. Changed everything out, no more light, no more problems. He said because it was plugged up like that if causes back pressure to build up in the engine and can cause lots of leaks to occur. Hope this helps!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts