Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple of ?s regarding emissions. I went for emissions and the guy plugged the thing up to the gas cap... PASS

I took my other cars (without gas caps and I think he put something in the hole (I don't remember as I was standing out of the freezing wind). They also passed.

So... in the event you get a fail, couldn't you just go get a new gas cap? How do locking caps (not the covers, but the actual caps) affect the emissions?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Certified emission inspector 22 years in Georgia. I owned 3 emission stations and a full lube mechanic shop. The EPA's reasoning for gas cap testing is Fuel is more harmful to the environment as a Vapor, hydronCarbons. If your gas cap is not holding pressure the fuel vapors leak into the atmosphere, contributing to green house gases. Now as to weather he put something in the fuel tank through the inlet? Your other cars without gas caps, are the the new cap less system such as ford or Chrysler products? If so they get an automatic pass, because Georgia inspection system does not have a way to test the pressure system. What he pluged up to the gas cap is a pressure tester. locking gas caps are tested the exact same way as a regular gas cap. You just have to be quick to unlock it and remove the cap. The testers are a timed system. Yes you could just get a new cap if all you have failed was the gas cap test of the emission test. I hope this answers your questions.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
The only emissions I have to worry about are the ones coming out of my own tailpipe. I'm glad I live in a state without them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts