Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 7x14 aluminum (6.5' inside height) dual axle trailer in my driveway that I'm selling once I sell my GMC 2500HD. Wish to replace it with a smaller single axle aluminum enclosed trailer but not sure what size would work best with my JKUR. Weight wise my JKUR could pull the big trailer I currently own since it's only 1700 lbs dry and maybe 2800 lbs loaded with bikes (Mountain bikes not motorcycles) and camping gear. I'm more concerned about the size as the 7x14 can catch a ton of wind. Anybody out there towing a 6.5 x 10 with a lower height?

·
Registered
696 Posts
I have a 5Wx12Lx5.5H single axle I tow. My '12 Rubicon has 4.10s, 315/70 Duratracs, and the 5 speed Auto. It hates to tow it! It does fine around tow and short interstate trips but wants to stay in third gear and sometimes drops to second to keep it at 65mph. It has a flat front but doesn't sit much higher or wider than the Jeep.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 5Wx12Lx5.5H single axle I tow. My '12 Rubicon has 4.10s, 315/70 Duratracs, and the 5 speed Auto. It hates to tow it! It does fine around tow and short interstate trips but wants to stay in third gear and sometimes drops to second to keep it at 65mph. It has a flat front but doesn't sit much higher or wider than the Jeep.
What's the weight of the trailer? Is it steel or aluminum frame?

That's one of the downside to bigger tires, towing capacity of the powertrain goes down.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I just bought and towed a enclosed 6Wx12Lx6.5H, single axle, 1260 pounds empty from Ohio to Minnesota which is +800 miles. I did have it pretty full, wish I knew the weight loaded, Im sure it was close to 1300 lbs of stuff. Everything was fine except, I had to turn overdrive off the whole trip, and mileage went down to 14mpg.

I'm use to having a Dodge 2500 Cummins 5.9L, but overall the Jeep towed fine except on the power portion, and I believe if I had the +2012 3.6 engine I would be more than happy, or maybe a RIPP on the 3.8. BTW you can see my specs in my sig.

I'm sure towing will changing between each person you ask being subjective, but what I can say 100% for sure is a 6x12 is the LARGEST trailer I would recommend towing, obviously the lighter the better.

Reactions: Qomomoko

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just bought and towed a enclosed 6Wx12Lx6.5H, single axle, 1260 pounds empty from Ohio to Minnesota which is +800 miles. I did have it pretty full, wish I knew the weight loaded, Im sure it was close to 1300 lbs of stuff. Everything was fine except, I had to turn overdrive off the whole trip, and mileage went down to 14mpg.

I'm use to having a Dodge 2500 Cummins 5.9L, but overall the Jeep towed fine except on the power portion, and I believe if I had the +2012 3.6 engine I would be more than happy, or maybe a RIPP on the 3.8. BTW you can see my specs in my sig.

I'm sure towing will changing between each person you ask being subjective, but what I can say 100% for sure is a 6x12 is the LARGEST trailer I would recommend towing, obviously the lighter the better.
14mpg is not bad at all. Was it a V nose? I imagine that would help.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
I have a 7x16 open trailer I haul the rhino n quads on. I'm pretty much maxed on weight. The jeep hates towing it. I got like 10mpg going 1500 miles. Btw I'm stock.

·
Registered
696 Posts
dhdad said:
What's the weight of the trailer? Is it steel or aluminum frame?

That's one of the downside to bigger tires, towing capacity of the powertrain goes down.
Not sure on weight but its steel frame probably 1000-1200 empty.

·
Registered
169 Posts
14mpg is not bad at all. Was it a V nose? I imagine that would help.
Nope not a V nose but yes I believe that would help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts