Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i have been looking for a project jeep finally found a 95 wrangler with a bad engine .It has auto trans witch is a bummer.But i can get it at a good price i think.The body looks really good except for a bad fender.The guy says the frame is pretty rust free.Now im reading where people say if you want a 4.0 then find a 4.0 jeep.Its to much hassle .I wouldn't mind the 4 cylinder if it wasnt a automatic.Are the 4.0 and 2.4 trannys the same if i did do a engine swap.I just didnt want to get into swapping out trannys if there the same.Im now young kid any more haha i just want a cruiser light off roading

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Engine trans tcase computer wiring and frame mounts (welded to frame) are al specific to each engine...

Swapping to a 4.0 is only slightly easier than swapping to a V8

·
Registered
787 Posts
your 95 is a yj so you should ask your question in that forum, but you will get the same answer. every one buys a 2.5 4 banger and thinks a 4.0 6cylinder can just be dropped in. it aint happening. throw another 3 to 5k at it and you may just have a 6 cylinder jeep. I'm saying this cause I did the same, I just learned to live with my 4 banger. if you just have to have a 6, sell the one you have and hunt a 6. everyone will tell you the same. welcome to the jeep world.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I'm waiting for the Cummins to be available as a replacement for the 2.5L in my '88 YJ

1 - 4 of 4 Posts