Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently been blessed with having to get my engine rebuilt. I am taking it to a shop that specializes in this. Can, and or should I have my engine bored out to increase horsepower? How will it run afterwards, and what modifications would I have to make for the whole thing to run right? Anyone??? :punk:

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
simply boring it out wont increase horsepower, not by any significant amount anyway. You'd need to have it stroked if your looking for a good gain in power.

Boring the cylinders out it usually to smooth the walls that have been scared by the pistons to regain a better compression.

If your looking for more power, look into a Golen longblock stroker or even a high horsepower 4.0L replacement.

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
simply boring it out wont increase horsepower, not by any significant amount anyway. You'd need to have it stroked if your looking for a good gain in power.

Boring the cylinders out it usually to smooth the walls that have been scared by the pistons to regain a better compression.

If your looking for more power, look into a Golen longblock stroker or even a high horsepower 4.0L replacement.
Yep X2

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
More othen than not an engine is bored out because of wear, not for a HP increase. People make you think that those extra couple of cubic inches are going to make it a race engine.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not gonna be a race engine?? lol I just want to do something for more horsepower, that will make it run strong, and give my jeep a little extra umph!

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
If your looking for more "umph"... look into a stroker motor or even a V8 swap. Its about the only way to make more power in a Jeep.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've looked into the stroker motors and they offer very little increase in horsepower per dollar amount, compared to me paying to get my motor stroked and getting more horsepower than they would offer for less buck. I really don't want to do the V-8 swap. I love my I-6, plus I have heard to many problems with the V-8 swaps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts