Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is about time for an oil change. I have had my jeep for almost 6000 miles and not know ing what it has been put through in its life i wanted to use an engine cleaning product to freshen it up. I was considering motor flush or sea foam. Has anyone used these? If so how did it work? Or are there other products that a worth checking out? Any input would help! Thanks

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Seafoam is a good cleaner. It's supposed to be a three part cleaner. 1/3 in the fuel, 1/3 in the oil, and 1/3 slowly poorest through the vacuum hose off the brake booster. I you pour to fast into the vacuum hose you can hurt the engine. But in the oil let it run for about 5 mins then change oil.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Seafoam didn't really make a noticeable performance difference for me, but I did have a little better piece of mind. I ran about half through the tank and half down the TB. Right before an oil change, i ran some engine flush through and that made the oil pour out better than normal. The next oil change was a bit cleaner too, but I think it would take quite a few oil changes to make a big defference...

·
Registered
10,137 Posts
I used seafoam after reading about it in an earlier post. I bought a 1995 Wrangler with 103K on it and it had a rough idle and had a tough time holding 65 mph on the highway (serious loss of power up hills). After using the seafoam using the 3 part system it cleared up both issues. I was so impressed, I did it to two of my other cars as well. This is the first time any additive has ever actually done what it claimed.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
if you clean out an old engine too good and get all the carbon out the rings and head it may start burning oil!

Plus, I don't like running all that crap through my oil pump.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Transmission fluid will clean out your engine better than any cleaner on the market.
Pour a quart or two into your oil, run it for a day, then change the oil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts