Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow keepers!

I wanted to ask two questions and see if I have anything to worry about or address.

1. After changing my oil for the first time since buying the jeep, I noticed now it makes a ticking sound when I cold start it, until about the time it warms up. It then goes away completely. Searching tells me this is piston slap, but maybe I'm missing something? Why after the oil change? I used 10w30 (California) and a molar filter.

2. I changed my water pump and t stat a few weeks ago and did a coolant system flush. I'm not sure if it was like this before but when the car is running, I hear crackling like sounds from the cooling system, as regular cars normally sound after you turn them off. It's not loud at all, and hardly noticeable. I don't have any leaks right now at all. It never has overheated and I have great fuel pressure (knock on wood)

It's a 2001 4.0 TJ. Thank you all for your input!

·
Registered
6 Posts
That oil sounds a bit thin for a 4.0 I6 with 16 years of use.

I'd try a synthetic 15W40. The sound you get on startup is the hydraulic lifters not getting oil, which implies low oil pressure, which means the oil is too thin.

10W30 would be fine for your East Coast.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Secondly on the coolant: did you cycle the heater controls after filling up with coolant?

I'm pretty sure there is an airlock in the cabin heater radiator. Set the heater to full heat and then drive until at normal operating temp and then re-check the coolant levels.

·
Super Moderator
7,836 Posts
Hi fellow keepers!

I wanted to ask two questions and see if I have anything to worry about or address.

1. After changing my oil for the first time since buying the jeep, I noticed now it makes a ticking sound when I cold start it, until about the time it warms up. It then goes away completely. Searching tells me this is piston slap, but maybe I'm missing something? Why after the oil change? I used 10w30 (California) and a molar filter.

2. I changed my water pump and t stat a few weeks ago and did a coolant system flush. I'm not sure if it was like this before but when the car is running, I hear crackling like sounds from the cooling system, as regular cars normally sound after you turn them off. It's not loud at all, and hardly noticeable. I don't have any leaks right now at all. It never has overheated and I have great fuel pressure (knock on wood)

Did you replace a Mopar filter with another Mopar filter, or change brands? Sometimes people report ticking after changing brands of filters, or oil viscosity. You could have dirty lifters which will cause ticking as well.

·
Banned
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That oil sounds a bit thin for a 4.0 I6 with 16 years of use.

I'd try a synthetic 15W40. The sound you get on startup is the hydraulic lifters not getting oil, which implies low oil pressure, which means the oil is too thin.
Do you think it would be okay to switch after the P.O. mentioned he only used 10w30 for the last 16 years?

10W30 would be fine for your East Coast.
Secondly on the coolant: did you cycle the heater controls after filling up with coolant?

I'm pretty sure there is an airlock in the cabin heater radiator. Set the heater to full heat and then drive until at normal operating temp and then re-check the coolant levels.
I did. Several times. This has me completely dumbfounded

Hi fellow keepers!

Did you replace a Mopar filter with another Mopar filter, or change brands? Sometimes people report ticking after changing brands of filters, or oil viscosity. You could have dirty lifters which will cause ticking as well.
I replaced a fram filter with a mopar filter. Was that a bad idea? The ticking only happens for a few minutes, and then once warm it goes away. If I used the jeep and it's warm, the rest of the day when I start it up I don't get a sound.

·
Super Moderator
7,836 Posts
I replaced a fram filter with a mopar filter. Was that a bad idea? The ticking only happens for a few minutes, and then once warm it goes away. If I used the jeep and it's warm, the rest of the day when I start it up I don't get a sound.
A Mopar filter should be fine for that application. I have a feeling you might have lifter noise. There are a few things you can do to "try" to resolve it. You could switch back to a Fram filter, but I doubt the filter is the problem. You could wait until about 1,000 miles before you're due to change your oil and add a pint of Marvel Mystery oil to the oil. [Flame suit on]. Being overfilled by a pint isn't going to hurt anything. You can substitute MMO for Rislone's engine cleaning product and run it for 1,000 miles and change your oil. You could try an idle flush which I'm not a big fan of. Amsoil makes a good one. You could also try a high mileage oil like Valvoline Maxlife oil in 10W30. People have had good luck with that too.

Or you can live with it, if you don't feel like digging deeper.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,412 Posts
A couple thoughts... one, I would stick with a 5W-30 or 10W-30, especially over a heavier viscosity like 15W-40. A lower viscosity oil when cold like the 5W and 10W will flow more easily and rapidly through the engine during the first startup when the engine is cold. That prevents less startup damage. The most damage to engines occurs during the first cold startup when the engine hasn't yet circulated so you want to help that happen as soon as possible.

You might simply have gotten a bad/defective oil filter. They have a check-valve designed to keep oil in the top-end of the engine. When it leaks and lets the oil drain down it causes a dry start. Try a new oil filter, it certainly can't hurt. Personally, I'm a strong believer in the quality of Fram's Tough Guard filter, it has a very high quality silicone check valve in it which is not known for failure.

Finally, your cooling system making noise could be from the radiator cap leaking or venting pressure prematurely. Make sure the radiator cap is screwed down all the way. If it is, it could be leaking or it could have too low of a pressure rating. The radiator cap must have an 18 lb. pressure rating so it will hold sufficient pressure and not let the coolant boil or vent out into the overflow reservoir prematurely.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts