Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best choice for engine/trans/t-case swap? Not looking for v8. Don't want to get something with enough power that I have to start worrying about axles but I need enough to run 35's.

So, I have a weak 2.5l engine in my jeep. Even if it wasn't weak it does not have the power I need for the way I am building this jeep. I know, it would be easier to just buy a 4.0l jeep and start over. However that isn't going to happen.

From what I read it will be just as much work installing a 4.0l as it would be to install any other powerplant so I am searching for something better.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have thought a lot about a turbo however, by the time I rebuild the 2.5 and buy/build all the parts to turbo it I could have just swapped everything out and had more torque and better fuel mileage in the end.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I dont know your budget and technical level but the Mercedes diesel swap can be done fairly cheap. There are some threads on here about doing it. A diesel swap is on my to do list once/if my 4.2 ever dies.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Budget is fairly low, although its pretty easy for me to scrounge things for next to nothing.

Technical level is high, can and do pretty much everything myself. Have a full fab shop and Cnc machine shop at my disposal.

Only thing I can say against the Mercedes diesel is the HP is so low. 124hp is not very good and the pumps are about maxed on them stock so there isn't much for performance gains to be had. Being a diesel the torque is good, and fuel mileage would be good. I have had 4 Benz's and built a sweet 300sd a few years ago so it has been in my mind. The other thing is they are a tank of an engine. Very heavy.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The member that was doing the swap found his engine in the junkyard and got it for cheap. I have been looking at the 4bt swap, but like you said the damn thing is so heavy.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I have been doing alot of thinking about this, with the issues putting in a GM V8, and emissions compliance, its a headache.
I could go with a V6, 4.3L, but HP from that is about comparable to the 4.0L HO motor.

I already have a AX15 I want to use, with the tcase from it, so to mount a GM engine Id have to use the Novak conversion adapter and a GM bell, I also have the GM bell, but dont have to use it....

Now im considering a 5.2L Dodge engine, or just saying screw it and using the Jeep 4.0L HO, which would be the easiest, all I would have to do is buy a Cherokee with a 4.0L which is considered an engine change instead of an engine swap, because the 4.0L cane stock in a Wrangler, I would not have to go to teh referee after the swap.

So Im down to a 4.3L GM or 4.0L Jeep, or 5.2L Dakota engines.

Still contemplating my options, but those are the realistic for me.

THEN I think IF I can fins a wrecked 00+ Camaro, I can use the 5.3L which is mmore power then Ill ever need, but...... hmmm

Sorry, im rambling.

If you live in an emissions state, I would stick with the 4.0L, unless you want to spend GOBS of money....

basically,

·
Registered
208 Posts
What about a 4.6/4.7 swap? Im looking at the 4.6 swap for my 4.0 when it dies its got more hp like 270 and forgot how much torque theres a thread on here about the 4.6 and they only cost a couple grand.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No emissions.

My only guidelines at this point are it has to be multi-port injected and 200-300hp. Plentiful parts both OEM and aftermarket is desired also.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Honda S2000 motor............I dont know if it has ever been done or what parts you would use but i do know it would be bad ass.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
If you go to 35's you need to worry about your axles. If you want 200-300 h.p. You need to consider bigger axles. This will probably make it easier on the drivetrain you will end up with.
Chevy axles are plentiful but the pass. side drop will keep you either using their stuff or full size Jeeps.
Sometimes you can buy a running Wagoneer with a 360 and Dana 44's front and rear for under $1000.00

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I just sold a K5 Blazer with a running tbi 350 and good auto tranny for $650.00 last week

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
If you go to 35's you need to worry about your axles. If you want 200-300 h.p. You need to consider bigger axles. This will probably make it easier on the drivetrain you will end up with.
Chevy axles are plentiful but the pass. side drop will keep you either using their stuff or full size Jeeps.
Sometimes you can buy a running Wagoneer with a 360 and Dana 44's front and rear for under $1000.00
x2. Doesn't matter how much power you're rolling, a Dana 35 was NOT designed for 35" tires. Drop in an 8.8 and re-gear, that'll be the easiest, least expensive, most stress-free, and ontop of that you won't get haggled at inspections, emissions, or when you sell it (if you sell it).

A swap can cost you anywhere from $1000 to $10k, depending on what you go with and how much effort you want to put into it. One things or certain, if you swap in ANY powerplant, don't fark with the stock rear axle. Why go through all of that effort to get more power, then leave a VERY weak link on your powertrain still? That's like building yourself a Death Star then leaving a small thermal exhaust port which leads right to the main reactor that you could shoot a laser blast down into and blow up the whole farking thing!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Already have an 8.8, one of the first mods I did. Gears or not, the 4 doesn't have enough power.

I have no inspections or emissions to deal with and at the point I sell, it will probably be destroyed. I don't really sell rigs that I build. Use them up is more my style.

Thanks for all the responses, nice to have lots of opinions when trying to decide.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
devilrmk said:
Already have an 8.8, one of the first mods I did. Gears or not, the 4 doesn't have enough power.

I have no inspections or emissions to deal with and at the point I sell, it will probably be destroyed. I don't really sell rigs that I build. Use them up is more my style.

Thanks for all the responses, nice to have lots of opinions when trying to decide.
I have a 5.9l v8 on my list from the 98 grand Cherokee limited or Dakota/Durango

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
With no state emissions inspections, you still have the federal emissions to consider, however IMO, if you want to save money, buy a S-10 pickup or Blazer (avaliable in manual or automatic (Id go witht eh 5 speed personally), You can convert everythign over, just get the motor mounts, a friend that welds. At that point you get it together, order some axles, then have your exhaust dont LAST!

An S-10 with the 4.3L has 190HP (Vortec), almost at your minimum HP number, If you want more, Buy a fullsize with a 5.7L or 5.3L vortec, and do the same thing.

the S-10 is cheaper, you ca n get a runnign one for under 1K, if you go fullsize, think 2K.

Add adapters, exhaust and drive~shafts to that, TIME and TIME and TIME for wireing, fab up a fuel delivery system, and your good.

I have a 97 Z71 with a Vortec 5.7L im considering using, but its CLEAN, so I want the money out of it....

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not sure what you mean by federal emissions. My state doesn't test in most countys and the ones that do my 87 is exempt. With my desire to use a more modern drivetrain it will actually be cleaner so my conscience is clear. About the only thing the cops worry about around here is safety items, mudflaps etc.

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
If you go to 35's you need to worry about your axles. If you want 200-300 h.p. You need to consider bigger axles.
What string said... axles really are the weak point in this platform. It's not that you need to run out and get a pair of 60s or anything (though it can't hurt) but even a 35 inch tire on the street could blow a D35.

At minimum I'd consider the 8.8 swap. The front D30 isn't that stout either but you're only like to break it when wheeling it/under power.

Denis

1 - 20 of 61 Posts