Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, messing around with my JK yesterday and noticed the coolant was under the minimum line. I thought it was as easy as just going to Wally World (Walmart) and getting more, but I've read a few places that warn you of putting in the wrong type of coolant.

Is there a specific type of coolant I need to buy?

Thanks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
it depends on the year of manufacture. Some use OAT and some use HOAT depending on year. You will most likely have to order it or get it from dealer. Whatever you do, DO NOT use the generic green all purpose coolant. Mixing this in will gum up the coolant and cause problems.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
So, messing around with my JK yesterday and noticed the coolant was under the minimum line. I thought it was as easy as just going to Wally World (Walmart) and getting more, but I've read a few places that warn you of putting in the wrong type of coolant.

Is there a specific type of coolant I need to buy?

Thanks.
JK/U's 2012 and older use HOAT coolant. 2013 and up use OAT coolant.

These two coolant types cannot be mixed. If they are, a chemical reaction will cause them to gel over time.

Mopar HOAT Part Number = 68048953AB

Mopar OAT Part Number = 68163848AA

This is directly from Chrysler:

Chrysler Corporation LLC. has released a new engine coolant for the 2013 model year vehicles and beyond, for all engine applications except the ones listed in the note above.

This new coolant is an Organic Additive Technology (OAT). OAT coolants have a service interval of 10 years or 150,000 miles. For heavy duty truck and extreme duty cycle applications refer to the Service Information or Owner's Manual for proper maintenance schedules.

CAUTION: Vehicle Damage may occur if dissimilar coolants are mixed!
Coolants of different technologies are not compatible nor interchangeable (OAT, HOAT or IAT). Mixing these coolants could result in:

• accelerated corrosion within the engine and cooling systems.
• the coolant having an ammonia smell.
• debris (particles) floating in the coolant.

Further inspection by the technician may find corrosion in the system. This could show up as aluminum pipes turning black in the coolant system, engine overheat, or leaks in the coolant system.

NOTE: If OAT (MOPAR P/N 68163848AA Purple) has been Mixed with HOAT (MOPAR P/N 68048953AB Pink Or Factory Fill HOAT Orange or any
other coolants have been mixed, it will be necessary to flush the cooling system.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts

These two coolant types cannot be mixed. If they are, a chemical reaction will cause them to gel over time.

68163848AA has been superceded by 68163848AB. That is the part number for OAT concentrate. If you want OAT 50/50 mix, you need part number 68163849AB. This post again highlights the need for posters to provide as much information about their Jeep as possible, as the answer differs from year to year or axle ratio to axle ratio, etc.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It is my understanding that Zerex G-05 is an HOAT coolant that is what I used recently in my 2012 JKUR. It's available at the big box stores in either a concentrate or 50/50 mix. NOt cheap In Chicago I paid 18.99 gallon

·
Registered
10,414 Posts

This is directly from Chrysler:

Chrysler Corporation LLC. has released a new engine coolant for the 2013 model year vehicles and beyond, for all engine applications except the ones listed in the note above.
I thought in the other tread, it was uncovered that the switch/break in coolant types wasn't as crisply defined as model years. If you're on the 2012 to 2013 changeover period, you need to check by VIN.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
go to the dealer and get it...they will ask for the vin to make sure you get the wright one.

OAT is purple in color and HOAT is orange.

·
Registered
503 Posts
go to the dealer and get it...they will ask for the vin to make sure you get the wright one.

OAT is purple in color and HOAT is orange.
Don't trust the dealer completely. Make sure you know what you are buying.

I had the dealer look it up for me and he showed me on his computer screen that my 2015 Wrangler takes 5yr/100k HOAT, which is wrong. I showed him my user manual that clearly states 10yr/150k OAT. I got the 50/50 premix because I didn't want to deal with adding water. #68163849AB

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have never seen such chaos from coolant in my life. We have two 15 JKs and one has the purple OAT in the overflow and the other looks orange in the overflow. Open the radiator cap and they both look orange. :censored:

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
I have never seen such chaos from coolant in my life. We have two 15 JKs and one has the purple OAT in the overflow and the other looks orange in the overflow. Open the radiator cap and they both look orange. :censored:
I agree with the chaos comment. I opened mine up for the first time during my last oil change and freaked out when the coolant was sh!t brown. I was ready to flush it. How will I ever know if the system is corroding with this color?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I agree with the chaos comment. I opened mine up for the first time during my last oil change and freaked out when the coolant was sh!t brown. I was ready to flush it. How will I ever know if the system is corroding with this color?
Grab a $2.00 cooking baster from your favorite big box. When you draw a sample you'll likely find its not actually brown. If it is, id take it to the dealer.

·
Retired Moderator
105,574 Posts
2012 and prior use HOAT Antifreeze. Some of the early 2013's still manufactured in the year of 2012 also use HOAT. The later 2013's through 2016 uses OAT. The only way to see the true color, is the below recommendation of a cooking baster. I have a later built 2013 and it has OAT Antifreeze in it. When I look in the overflow bottle it looks somewhat orange, but when I pull some out with a baster, then it is definitely purple in color.

Your 2015's, definitely have OAT Antifreeze in them!!!

Grab a $2.00 cooking baster from your favorite big box. When you draw a sample you'll likely find its not actually brown. If it is, id take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
293 Posts
2012 and prior use HOAT Antifreeze. Some of the early 2013's still manufactured in the year of 2012 also use HOAT. The later 2013's through 2016 uses OAT. The only way to see the true color, is the below recommendation of a cooking baster. I have a later built 2013 and it has OAT Antifreeze in it. When I look in the overflow bottle it looks somewhat orange, but when I pull some out with a baster, then it is definitely purple in color.

Your 2015's, definitely have OAT Antifreeze in them!!!
I figured as much. Thanks for the clarification.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.