Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed a few times the engine would cut out when pushing it kind of hard down the road, the best way to describe it would be like it's trying to run out of gas. The motor runs great, it is a 258 carbureted stock distributor, it has a MC 2150 carb, new plug wires and plugs. Just driving around casual you would never feel it but if you push it hard down the road it might cut out a little, not all the time but it acts just like it's not getting enough fuel. Any thoughts what might cause something like that?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Have you noticed it only does it on hot days? I had a similar issues..it only happen on 90+ days had to move my FPR...fuel was getting too hot. I would also check the bowel level in you carb...mine would also cut out on left hand turns...my pick up in the bowl is on the left...adjusted it so just a little more fuel in the bowl problem went away...couple things to check...good luck!

·
Super Moderator
12,691 Posts
sccritterkiller has a Weber carb and OP has a Motocraft carb. Not saying that sccritterkiller doesn't offer good advice, just that the carbs may be different in some ways. Actually, his advice is spot on for any carb with the issues you describe.

Another thing to consider is a partly blocked fuel feed system.
Hopefully it's something simple like the fuel filter is partly plugged and not the sock on the fuel pickup in the tank or a pinched line. Also check the rubber hoses that connect your metal fuel lines for deterioration. How old is your fuel pump?

Outside chance, check the vacuum line to your distributor. You may not be getting enough vacuum advance, only mechanical advance.

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: Batjac

·
Registered
67 Posts
Something else to check, Possibility the power valve in either the wrong size or failing, it's common of the 2150.

My 2150 is jetted with 47's on the main jets and a power valve is 6.5. I live at 4500 ft altitude and this is what the charts call for. I got my parts from carbjunkys on Ebay.

There is another carb site that has good customer service but I can't find the link to it right now, I am sure someone here can chime in.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
It's got to be something simple with the carb..if was a filter or something it would probably do it all the time...OP says only does it when you romp on it...thinking fuel may geting pushed away from the pick up..I am not familiar with the MC carb but a carb is carb...they all work basically the same...I would check you mix too...maybe running too lean when it's wide open..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts