Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving to work last week, and my Jeep died about 5 miles from work as I slowed down for a stoplight. It would turn over, fuel pump kicked on, but it wouldn't start. I was in the far left lane and the speed limit is 65, so it wasn't exactly a safe place to work on it. I had it towed home, did the plugs/wires/distributor/rotor along with an oil change, and it started.

Drove it to work the next day, and made it there fine. On the way home, at a long stoplight, it died again. Fortunately this time, it started right back up, but she's making me pretty nervous.

Any ideas for where to start?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
91 yj Sahara 4.0. Engine is stock except for the alternator, got a 136 amp alternator from a 98 Durango. Only code is 12, battery disco'd in the last 50 starts.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, the old plugs looked... not right, and the fuel gauge has started occasionally pinning on the full side.

ForumRunner_20150404_160323.jpg

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sorry I can only give info about a similar issue I had. Symptoms sound similar - my crank sensor would intermittently drop out at stop lights, only during the first five miles and only in the morning.
Good luck.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sorry I can only give info about a similar issue I had. Symptoms sound similar - my crank sensor would intermittently drop out at stop lights, only during the first five miles and only in the morning.
Good luck.
Same here. Crank sensors are 9.99 on eBay. its a very common issue. i just had the same problem a week ago. Out of all three wranglers I've owned, this part has went bad on two of them. Also, before you go buying sensors and throwing it at them:

Check your fuel pressure
Change your fuel filter
Check/Listen for vacuum leaks
It is Injection right? Maybe run some seafoam through a tank of gas and clean the throttle body

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Crank sensor! I would have replaced every part in the rig before I got to that one. I put the tranny in a few months ago, so I'll add that to the short list.

Thanks for the tips, my friends. Spending the day underneath it, wish me luck!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Crank sensor! I would have replaced every part in the rig before I got to that one. I put the tranny in a few months ago, so I'll add that to the short list.

Thanks for the tips, my friends. Spending the day underneath it, wish me luck!
Did you throw a new sensor in it yet? What's the verdict?:atomic:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Replaced the fuel filter and fuel injectors. She's still idling rough, but she's noticeably better than she was before. Took her out today, and even got her dirty, and she seemed fine. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quick update for anyone who is interested. Haven't done anything else about the rough idle, I've been pretty busy. But the new fuel injectors have made a surprising and unexpected difference. I've been over the mountains between Vegas and Pahrump several times in the last few weeks, and the improvement is significant. I can now make it over in 4th gear, except for one part where I have to slow down for a curve and I'd be in third if it was flat. That was a slow slog in third all the way up before.

The upgrade was cheap (I think about $100 on eBay) and easy (I did it one night after work). I got the four hole Bosch injectors, which are billed as an upgrade from the stock injectors with a single hole.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know this is an old thread, but I started getting the mysterious dying thing again, and I think I figured it out. Only had to buy one unnecessary sensor to do it!

It was the cam stator, aka cam sensor, aka ignition pickup, aka a few other things just to make it really hard to research.

It's the sensor inside the distributor that syncs up with the crankshaft position sensor in the transmission. It has a little cable that comes out of the distributor through a rubber grommet, which in my case was frayed and torn.

Replacing it was a pita, had to take the whole distributor out to get to it which was far more complicated than I wanted it to be, but it seems to be working. Time will tell...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts