Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! I've been chasing something for months (off on on between work). I've got a 2.4L manual that stalls out anywhere between 20ft and 2 miles. I have replaced; darn near every sensor (the only one left that I'm aware of is the idle air), fuel; pump, sock, filter, regulator. ECU, oil pump, complete distributor setup, plugs and wires, Cleaned the ccv, Fuel pump and auto shut off relays. Soooooo, the problem persists. She'll fire right up. Some days she will idle forever, other days (and here I suspect is the problem) she'll idle for about five minutes, start to hesitate and miss and then shut down. I'll try to crank it over again and sometimes she'll fire up, other times nothing. When she doesn't turn over, I'll pull the plugs and they come out flooded. Now, I haven't driven this beast in a couple months because I'm sick of pushing it home... But if anyone can shed some insight on what may be going on, I ( and more importantly my wife) would be eternally grateful! Thank you

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Blackbox is correct, the 2.4L came in 2005 (I think). Point is, it's a late model TJ engine. However, the TBI 2.5L was from 87-90. 91+ used MPI, which is computerized.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well...went thru and checked timing, that's spot on! I can't adjust the MPI to my knowledge, unless I reprogram the computer? However I have swapped the CPU with one from another '92 4banger ... Same symptoms... Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
12,662 Posts
Coil. Gets hot & quits.

Change it with a known good one (or new) and let us know.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
I don't see the crank position sensor(on the bell housing) listed...

Its a major suspect in this type of problem

Also remove the throttle body and clean the Idle Air Control Valve and its passages.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cps was changed but not listed, sorry ... Went thru the TB and cleaned it and said components (thank you for the pics).... Still having same issues. SO ... Had an epiphany, if the plugs fouled out on a second start that means the cpu is sending too much gas, right? Got under the beast, replaced the freaking O2 sensor!! So far, zero hesitation or fouling ... Tho can't take her out yet due to the 3 feet of snow we are getting this weekend ... Not that I can't, just that I don't wanna be that guy busted down in a snow storm ... Just in case

·
Super Moderator
12,662 Posts
'Tis a pleasure to live in the Colorado mountains.

Most of the time. Except when you get three feet of snow. Out here on the plains we are scheduled for 3" to 6".

I think you are smart to wait.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Figured that out ... Easy enough ... The only codes that were given were 12 33 and 55 ... All basic no issue codes, from my understanding.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Have you changed or checked the TPS (throttle position sensor)?
yes I did, the only thing I haven't changed, to my knowledge, is the IAC ... But I took it off, cleaned it and its passages.

Fired her up today, took her out for test ... Got to the bottom of the street and died. Getting to my ends after replacing damn near everything I can think to replace, checking codes and just plain willing her to run.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
If it's the idle air, it will only stall at idle and you will be able to keep it going with some throttle to manually control the idle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Would the fuel injectors have anything to do with it? I fired her up this morning and she ran roughly for about 10 minutes ... Swapped out the old stock single port, with 4 port injectors and she has purred in idle for the last hour ... The were a couple misses but maybe only two or three, and no cut out ...?

·
Super Moderator
12,662 Posts
Would the fuel injectors have anything to do with it? I fired her up this morning and she ran roughly for about 10 minutes ... Swapped out the old stock single port, with 4 port injectors and she has purred in idle for the last hour ... The were a couple misses but maybe only two or three, and no cut out ...?
It won't cut out until you are at the bottom of the hill.

JK... Hope you have solved the problem. To be sure, reinstall the old injectors and see if the problem returns.

Good Luck, L.M.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts