Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Poking around on my 2004 LJ today working on various issues and noticed the engine ground strap just sitting on a bolt on the valve cover. Its on the drivers side, at the rear of the valve cover. The other two ground locations, firewall and hood, are tight and good. Is this where the engine strap is supposed to be? Shouldn't it be under a nut somewhere? Thanks!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can somebody with a 2004 look under their hood and see where the ground strap is on their valve cover and how it's connected? Even better if you could snap a quick pic. Thanks!!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hard to see but mine is exactly where yours is- last valve cover bolt on drivers side under the electrical harness. Mine is tight so it is probably under the nut, not on top like yours. I'll look again tomorrow in the light.
My guess is it did not get back where it belonged after some maintenance... you can probably pull up the harness and thread another nut down on top and you'll be fine, or attach to any other easy to access block fastener.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hard to see but mine is exactly where yours is- last valve cover bolt on drivers side under the electrical harness. Mine is tight so it is probably under the nut, not on top like yours. I'll look again tomorrow in the light. My guess is it did not get back where it belonged after some maintenance... you can probably pull up the harness and thread another nut down on top and you'll be fine, or attach to any other easy to access block fastener.
it's actually a head bolt that it attaches to. It in the right spot. Looks like the nut might've gotten left due to repairs. Find another that'll thread on it and you're good to go. Fyi the front head stud on driver side are all the same. ( use these to match nut instead of trying to reach the back one for fitment.) good luck. Also may want to check all other grounds too.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh that's right I see that now, the valve cover is next to it. Alright I'll try to locate a properly threaded nut. Thanks so much for the help guys!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts