Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Wrangler sport and after turning the jeep off and taking the key out the engine and all of the electronics keep running. It only keeps running for about 10 seconds then shuts off though.

Anyone else has the same problem or know what is wrong?

Btw perfect timing, hit 36,000 miles yesterday so I lost the 36,000 mile/3 year warranty!

·
Super Moderator
8,177 Posts
That is how it is set from factory if you are talking about the radio and lights staying on briefly.

·
GO STEELERS !
2,164 Posts
Yea I thought that was a standard setting. When you open the door it shuts off or turns off after a set amount of time when you stay in the jeep. Mine normally turns off right at the best part of the song that I am listening to.

·
Registered
669 Posts
it is actually an adjustable feature. You can set it anywhere from 10 seconds to 10 minutes.
You do this through the system setup menu..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is how it is set from factory if you are talking about the radio and lights staying on briefly.
No, not just the electronics but the engine also keeps running. I take the key out and the engine keeps running for about 10 seconds.

And I know how the electronics are supposed to keep running for a set amount of time, but if you open your door they will stop and that is no longer the case.

The whole jeep keeps running for about 10 seconds after the key is removed then shuts off. Including the engine, which shouldn't happen.

·
GO STEELERS !
2,164 Posts
Yikes that aint right. I have a couple questions but unfortunately no answers.

1) Does it knock really loud and shutter really bad? (Like bad gas?)

2) Can you rev the engine when the key is out, like the computer thinks the engine is still operational?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yikes that aint right. I have a couple questions but unfortunately no answers. 1) Does it knock really loud and shutter really bad? (Like bad gas?) 2) Can you rev the engine when the key is out, like the computer thinks the engine is still operational?
It doesn't knock. Just filled up last night and it's still happening so it's not bad gas. Thought it might be carbon buildup on a piston keeping it going but if that was the case then It would knock. And that wouldn't explain the electronics not turning off.

And I haven't tried Reving it, I will after lunch and get back to you on that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yikes that aint right. I have a couple questions but unfortunately no answers. 1) Does it knock really loud and shutter really bad? (Like bad gas?) 2) Can you rev the engine when the key is out, like the computer thinks the engine is still operational?
To update on your second question...it does rev after I take the key out.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
tipm if its revving after shut off? you need to take it in

·
Registered
669 Posts
I got to thinking and re read your post..

The motor keeps running as well.. that is not good. go straight to the dealer.. and I would bet the mileage is not an issue for warranty

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
To update on your second question...it does rev after I take the key out.
Like everyone else indicated, take it in. First time I heard of a JK running after the key was removed. I would bet it has to do with a faulty Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: just took it to the dealership. The guy I dropped it off to said its the first time he's seen this. He said they'll take a look and call me tomorrow. He also said he'll talk to the Chysler Jeep rep and talk to them about warranty since I'm only 46 miles over. He said most likely I'll be able to be under warranty.

I'll update y'all more when I get more info tomorrow...missing my jeep already haha. Guess I'll have to steal my sisters car to go to work tonight.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Update: just took it to the dealership. The guy I dropped it off to said its the first time he's seen this. He said they'll take a look and call me tomorrow. He also said he'll talk to the Chysler Jeep rep and talk to them about warranty since I'm only 46 miles over. He said most likely I'll be able to be under warranty.

I'll update y'all more when I get more info tomorrow...missing my jeep already haha. Guess I'll have to steal my sisters car to go to work tonight.
wow, what dealership?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wow, what dealership?
Frisco Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram. Have had multiple bad experiences at Huffines in Plano so Last time I had a problem I went to Richardson's Chrslyer Dodge Jeep dealership and wasn't satisfied. So I am trying out Frisco.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Frisco Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram. Have had multiple bad experiences at Huffines in Plano so Last time I had a problem I went to Richardson's Chrslyer Dodge Jeep dealership and wasn't satisfied. So I am trying out Frisco.
good to know

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
It's a little disheartening that FCA doesn't consider these TIPM malfunctions to be a safety concern (recall?). Maybe the scope is so large, and the failures too few, that they just can't admit it's a problem...it would be cheaper to settle lawsuits than recall so many TIPM's? Plus, it's a spendy deal = ~$1000 according to people on the forum.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's a little disheartening that FCA doesn't consider these TIPM malfunctions to be a safety concern (recall?). Maybe the scope is so large, and the failures too few, that they just can't admit it's a problem...it would be cheaper to settle lawsuits than recall so many TIPM's? Plus, it's a spendy deal = ~$1000 according to people on the forum.
Yeah the $1000 price I've heard is what has made me really frustrated it happened literally the day after I lost my warranty! Hopefully Chrysler will understand that I'm only a few miles over, but I'll just have to wait and see.

And I am also very shocked it isn't yet a recall. Especially because of some of the things I've heard it can cause such as the engine stalling randomly, the horn going off for no reason, the windshield wipers going off, or the airbags deploying/not deploying. (The last one sounds very dangerous but I don't know how many times that has actually happened)

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Sounds like you have a stuck relay. I wonder if power from the accessory is backfeeding into the ignition on circuit. Causeing the engine to stay on with the radio / ect.

Change your radio timeout to see if the engine shuts off with the radio. Open the door to see if it shuts off when the door is opened.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts