Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I begin my search for a '97 - '00 TJ I am facing the likelihood of high mileage. Most of the TJs out there in my price range (under 5K) seem to be the 2.5s and have somewhere around 150k or so on the odo. I'm not much of an engine mechanic, (actually not at all) but I think I would prefer a 4.0 because I'm pretty sure the higher mileage isn't a big issue as they seem to go forever. What about the longevity expectations of a 2.5 comparatively with all things like maintenance being equal? IOW..is the 2.5 more likely to cause issues as the mileage piles up?

·
Registered
571 Posts
2.5 Engine Response

I had the 2.5 in my first Wrangler (2000) and loved it. I also had the same engine in an AMC Concord station wagon (1980) and had 218,000 miles on it when I gave it away. It's a great engine and is all cast iron. It reminds me of the air-cooled VW engine in a Beetle - you simply can't kill it. My soon currently has the same engine in his 1994 Wrangler and has about 210,000 on his right now and it's running fine. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
22,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had the 2.5 in my first Wrangler (2000) and loved it. I also had the same engine in an AMC Concord station wagon (1980) and had 218,000 miles on it when I gave it away. It's a great engine and is all cast iron. It reminds me of the air-cooled VW engine in a Beetle - you simply can't kill it. My soon currently has the same engine in his 1994 Wrangler and has about 210,000 on his right now and it's running fine. Hope this helps!
Wow. yeah it does. Thanks. Real life testimonials trump the rumor mill every time IMO!

Did your 2000 have the 5 speed AX5 or the auto?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
:facepalm:

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
the 2.5L is basically a 4.0L with two cylinders chopped off.

i'd still go with the 4.0L tho, because the 2.5L are quite underpowered. you're at full throttle most of the time trying to keep up with grandma on a power chair.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
UnlimitedLJ04 said:
the 2.5L is basically a 4.0L with two cylinders chopped off.

i'd still go with the 4.0L tho, because the 2.5L are quite underpowered. you're at full throttle most of the time trying to keep up with grandma on a power chair.
I agree. I struggled with my 2.5L in terms of highway driving, and that was the sole reason I got rid of it. I loved my YJ, but it was just a complete dog. Even when it was stock form, it was a complete struggle to maintain 65.

In terms of reliability, I never really had a problem. She just chugged along.

·
i am fluent in kryptonian
530 Posts
my 96' grand cherokees 4.0l had 200k and no problems but i sold it to get a 4wd wrangler
my friends dad has a 01' cherokee with 310k and no problems. i think the only major thing he replaced was a heater core. and thats not even detrimental to the running of the jeep

·
Registered
159 Posts
I currently have 3 TJ's the 2.5 has 185k on it. 4.0 with 174 and another 4.0 I just bought with 208 on it. No motor problems.

·
Registered
22,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool. Sounds like either engine can have a long life if maintained. Power isn't a big issue since I will only be running 33x10.50s and gear it to 4.88. It will only be on a highway if that's the way to the trail.

I have a line on a '99 2.5 5 speed with 175k on the odo for $3K. Might check it out 2morrow.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
You guys whining about the 2.5L must have got slow ones (or did something to cause it to be slow). ;) Mine has no problems doing over 75mph on the freeway with 4.10's and 31's. To me, the 4.0L was not worth the extra $2K. The $2K I saved will eventually go toward a v8 conversion.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Just letting you know that the TJs with the 2.5 are great candidates for the 2.8 CRD diesel out of a libby. The trans and engine and harness are direct fits to that platform. I believe that even the dash setup is similar. Helped a friend do this once and i remember it not being that hard.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts