Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was pulling my utility trailer with a load of kayaks the other day. A/C was on. Suddenly the engine started missing and lost a lot of power. I turned it off and back on and it ran smooth again. It has been fine since then till today. My son was hauling off the trash on the trailer and it did it again. It threw 3 codes.
0340 no cam signal at PCM
0303 misfire on cylinder 3
0155 o2 sensor heater failure.

So my question is what happened. I'm guessing the load of the trailer is causing this problem but what is going on. I'd really like to try and fix this myself.

·
Registered
14,317 Posts
So it is an 01 4.0?
Auto or manual?
What did temp gauge say?

That intermittent hard to say could damaged harness wire or could even be failing fuel pump but if it is a significant problem it will start to recur with higher frequency which will help with identification

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a manual with 3:73 gears. Temp stared fine according to the gauge. The thing I can't figure out is why the load of the trailer would cause it. It's a 5x8 utility trailer. Not a significant enough load to really bother the engine I would think.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any other ideas? I'm going to check the wiring under the hood and I may change the plugs.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
A failing coil will miss under load. See if it misses under hard acceleration as well.

No cam signal is either the cam sensor going bad or the wiring to it.

Reset the codes and see if they come back.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yesterday I hauled the kayaks on the trailer again. I noticed that around 1000 rpm I could feel a little miss in the engine. However if I got on the gas a little harder and got it up to 1500 to 2000 fairly quickly it ran smooth and had no problem. It didn't throw any codes yesterday. I know this because the check engine light had already gone off from the time it did it earlier in the week. I know there is still something going on though because I still feel the little misfire around 1000 rpm. I'm going to check the wiring on the CPS. Is there any way to test the coil?

·
Registered
14,317 Posts
You know there can be pending codes set without CEL and you need a real OBD2 tool or dongle to read them

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts