Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Around 3 months ago I found the bottom of my jeep caked in oil, and the engine empty of oil. I had a shop look at it, thry had found that there was a crack in the oil filter housing. They replaced it. I have never lost oil like that again.

A couple of thousand miles later and I was producing blue smoke on start up. A few hundred miles later abd the engine began to sputter on idle. I also found that I was starting to burn oil. Probably a quart or two every few hundred miles. I kept running the jeep, and adding oil as needed.

A couple of months later I was getting a cylinder 6 misfire code, and jeep was having performance issues.

I took it in and had the spark plugs and coils replaced. The plug in 6 was covered in burnt oil.

The blue smoke problem has persisted, and at around 6000 miles since having the plugs and coild replaced is smoking really bad, stuttering, and throwing a po300 code (multiple misfires).

I am trying to figure out the next step.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Do a compression check on the cylinders. If you are low on #6 squirt some 30W oil into the plug hole and recheck. If the pressure comes up it is the rings. Also may be a good idea to check the oil pressure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do a compression check on the cylinders. If you are low on #6 squirt some 30W oil into the plug hole and recheck. If the pressure comes up it is the rings. Also may be a good idea to check the oil pressure.

A compression test was run when the plugs were changed, and the reading was good.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Around 3 months ago I found the bottom of my jeep caked in oil, and the engine empty of oil. I had a shop look at it, thry had found that there was a crack in the oil filter housing. They replaced it. I have never lost oil like that again.

A couple of thousand miles later and I was producing blue smoke on start up. A few hundred miles later abd the engine began to sputter on idle. I also found that I was starting to burn oil. Probably a quart or two every few hundred miles. I kept running the jeep, and adding oil as needed.

A couple of months later I was getting a cylinder 6 misfire code, and jeep was having performance issues.

I took it in and had the spark plugs and coils replaced. The plug in 6 was covered in burnt oil.

The blue smoke problem has persisted, and at around 6000 miles since having the plugs and coild replaced is smoking really bad, stuttering, and throwing a po300 code (multiple misfires).

I am trying to figure out the next step.

Any thoughts?
Take it to a dealer. On another matter, really miss your website, hope all is better than Jeep at the moment. :) Sorry I missed the earlier mention that you had taken Jeep to a service place.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
If it is a head problem, some of the 2013 heads are under warranty for 150K or 10 years. Is the #6 plug on the left (drivers) side? The left head is the one Chrysler extended the warranty on

1 - 9 of 9 Posts