Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the long and the short of it:

2012 JKU 160K miles.

Was involved in a wreck 3 weeks ago. T-boned a young lady who decided it was a good idea to pull out in front of me 20 ft away. Did some major damage to her SVU, not nearly as much to my Jeep. However, my engine died upon impact and I had to restart it to get it out of the middle of the road. As soon as I started it, I heard what sounded like metal on metal thrashing and an instant tick. I drove it less than 15 feet to get it safely out of the road and access the damages. Here is an important note: absolutely no fluid loss at the point of impact, on the road afterwards or in the parking lot where the jeep sat for 1 hr until I could get a tow. No engine damage by contact either. The repair was approx $9,000.00 and the A arms, Axle, and drive shaft had to be replaced due to them all being bent.

Now, my question is this, could an impact that can bend that much metal (the axled was bent backwards 11/8") cause some sort of internal failure to the engine? The mechanic at the body shop listened to it and came up with the answer "Ticking Lifter" (which seems to be the go-to answer when no one really knows), and my insurance adjuster states it couldnt be due to the accident, since there was no signs of engine impact or fluids leaking. I am very meticlous with my vehicles and drive 1200-1600 miles a week in this thing (so basically live in it) and there was NO NOISE prior to the wreck.

Any help, suggestions, advice, would be greatly appreciated. I want to know how to advance this forward with insurance without eating a ton of $ on my part.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Yes, there can be engine damage. The only real way to find out is that it has to be physically examined. With 160K miles on it already you might want to consider a replacement if a physical inspection reveals extensive damage. The adjuster is incorrect. With 160K on it an adjuster isn't necessarily going to want to authorize a major engine repair or replacement. There is "ticking" and then there's "ticking". The fuel injectors "tick". If there's excess ticking internally it has to be examined. That's the only way to know what the problem is and how much it's going to cost to repair. Only with that info. can a decision be made whether it's worth the repair. An adjuster wants to satisfy the claim and is tethered to the insurance company. Your interest isn't exactly their interest. I would have a professional shop, not a dealer, inspect it if you plan on keeping it. It will cost to have it inspected. If extensive damage can be documented due to the collision, you'll probably have a case for the adjustment report to be re-examined. Good luck.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response, as it validates my thoughts exactly. The insurance company (even though I wasn't at fault) "might" not have my best interest in mind, and can only go so far. But I know what I know, and I know this isnt a lifter tick and I know it wasnt present before. So, having someone else tell me the accident could have caused it (even in the absence of physical outward damage) give me reassurance of my plan to proceed

·
Registered
529 Posts
My cousin was in a pretty good wreck with his JKU and found out after he got it back from repairs that there was an exhaust leak at the exhaust manifold or at the catalytic converter, don't remember which. Could that be the noise you hear?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My cousin was in a pretty good wreck with his JKU and found out after he got it back from repairs that there was an exhaust leak at the exhaust manifold or at the catalytic converter, don't remember which. Could that be the noise you hear?
No, It isn't exhaust, it is internal. It sounds like its both high (engine banks) and low (bottom end). And doesnt sound like exhaust, sounds like a "tick" (but not quite a knock)

·
Registered
810 Posts
The impact probably did not damage internals, but likely did tweak your exhaust system since it is not rigid and does flex. I would start at the EM gaskets with a stethoscope. My 3.8 would tick just like it had a bad lifter, all it had was a cracked exhaust manifold.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts