Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not a mechanic, so I had a couple of local guys look at this. A couple of weeks ago, got home and had a bad slapping in my engine. Both of the guys I had look at it said new engine time. So I had it sitting in my garage for these few weeks. I started it up today and it wasn't that bad. Drove around a little and it was getting worse as the engine heated up. Here is a bad video of the noise, you can kind of hear the slap progressing with engine rpms. Can anyone tell if this is anything that can be fixed, or is a replacement engine on tap? Also, when this happened all oil pressure was and is fine, but I have an oil leak in the back of my oil pan.
Thanks.
MVI 7285 - YouTube

·
Registered
591 Posts
I can't tell much from the video but may be a timing chain slapping or a broken piston skirt. If you're going to change the oil see if you can find aluminum shavings from a bad piston in the oil filter. (have to cut it open with some tin snips or something that doesn't generate debris like a saw would.)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Why not pull the pan and check it out .
A piston or bad crank bearing could be fixed easy if you could identify the problem .
install a new pan gasket

1 - 3 of 3 Posts