Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to do my own oil changes, and wondered what oil filter is best to use? I plan on using Castrol GTX oil. Do I need the one with the anti-drain back valve in it? I also thought about using "Slick 50 treatment" this time, I've had good results in the past with other vehicals. But I don't know if there's something better on the market these days. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
I typically use a good ol' Fram Toughguard but will sometimes use Wix if the store sells it.

Not sure why you think you need any oil addiitives. Just change your oil with a good dino or synthetic oil and call it a day. No additives are going to improve performance.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,633 Posts
Avoid the use of additives, especially Slick 50 that can actually clog up some of the smaller oil journals. Oil filter-wise, it's hard to beat these... in no particular order... AC-Delco Duraguard, Fram Tough Guard, Purolator PureOne, and Wix. Oil-wise, I'm a strong believer of Valvoline 10W-30 though Castrol, Shell, Pennzoil, Havoline, Mobil, etc. are all superb choices... any one of which will do an outstanding job of protecting your engine. Regular oil and oil filter changes are the key to engine longevity, not some magic oil or additive.

Back to the additive question... there is not a single major premium oil manufacturer that recommends the use of any additive. There is no and can be no single additive that is good for all oil formulations. The use of an additive is just more likely to degrade the oil's performance from having screwed up its careful blend of components.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info! and does it matter if the filter is the "drain back type" or not?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts