Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys want some ADVICE or opinions as far as engine performance goes.

I have an 06 TJ UNLIMITED, and want some engine performance to give it more of an umph to the sound and engine performance.

I recently installed a VOLANT Intake but want to keep going. If you have any advice point out what, and what brand you think is best.

Just want to go in smart direction. Asking for your help, any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Well, performance wise, your really not going to get anything from the bolt on stuff. Your TJ breathes just fine through the stock air box. I do know that some like the little extra sound of the intakes so thats cool. As far as exhaust, I like my flowmaster super 40, and I've talked to lots of people who like their Banks exhaust.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Majority of the people preferred to keep their OEM air intake box because to aftermarket CAI doesn't do well off roading where there are a lot of dirt. IMO...I would go with Banks exhaust because the look, feel, and sound is solidly built. Good luck on your build.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Hey guys want some ADVICE or opinions as far as engine performance goes.

I have an 06 TJ UNLIMITED, and want some engine performance to give it more of an umph to the sound and engine performance.

I recently installed a VOLANT Intake but want to keep going. If you have any advice point out what, and what brand you think is best.

Just want to go in smart direction. Asking for your help, any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
uninstall the volant, get your money back. go back to the stock intake box.

if you actually want to increase your engine's performance, theres 3 main ways to do that:
1. cam swap - requires removing the head and installing new valve springs
2. 4.5/4.6/4.7 stroker - 4.2L crank with 4.0L or 4.2L rods, depends if you want short or long rods. uses custom pistons to get pin height correct. 4.5 = stock bore, 4.6 = 0.030 over, 4.7 = 0.060 over. 4.0L's have enough wall thickness to go 0.060 over without issue. stroker includes hi-po cam and valvetrain spring swap.
3. swap the entire engine. 5.0L Ford, 5.3L Vortec and 5.7L HEMI swaps are popular.

If you want to compensate for the underpowered 4.0L thats in front and automatic 42RLE tranny, and/or compensate for larger tires, you need to regear the axles.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks the reason for the volant was to get the snorkel. I wanted to stay with the same model. I'm going to look more into that suggestion thanks for the details helps a lot to be more precise on what to get.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.