Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently just put my engine back together "4.2L". Only stripped it down past the head. When I put it back together and tried to fire it up, it now makes a popping sound from the front of the engine. I have heard this sound before when I mixed two plug wires in the past. This isn't the problem this time.
I started this project back in August and finance became an issue so wasn't able to put it back together until recently. Most of my vacuum hose markings fell off during that time. Made me sad. I do not have all of them on, but other than the one from the distributor being correct, this shouldn't be an issue or am I wrong. When I put the motor at TDC everything seemed to line up. Anybody have any clue what I should check next. The popping sound does not sound like a rattle or metal on metal or anything. My next guess is I have a valve firing while it is open.
Also I am not a great mechanic, bought my Jeep to learn about it so if anybody has any suggestions, no matter how simple it maybe, I am sure that is what I am overlooking.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also I did record a video of what it sounds like. If anybody is willing to take a listen I can post it on a youtube page or something

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
If your plug wires are in order, im gonna guess a stuck valve judging by your video. The pop is comeing from the intake, correct?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If your plug wires are in order, im gonna guess a stuck valve judging by your video. The pop is comeing from the intake, correct?
I believe so. Guy that was with me said he thought it was from the front. But he isn't a car guy and it spotters dead as soon as I let off the gas so I haven't made it to the front to see yet. I got one of them tricky ones to start up. Maybe put a rocker on to tight or something?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Definitely worth a check. Pull one plug wire at a time till the pop stops, that should narrow it down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts