Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

Just accepted into the wrangler family about 3 months ago with my 2000 Jeep wrangler. I simply love it and wont drive anything else again but... Im currently a college student so Im driving a lot around and stuff. My jeep has the 2.4 liter engine and its a 5-speed manual. I am leaving back home with and staying there so driving wont be key anymore unless its through MUD :thumb:
I want to do a Engine swap because stock isnt going to get me anywhere especially with a 2.4 little guy:banghead: . I have read and have been searching all over the place for whats the cheapest and easiest swap to do. I hear a lot of 350/290 horse power Gm engine and stuff like this which i am happy about but I am nothing close to a gear head or know anything about this sooooo.
Im looking to put in a new engine preferably V8 but wasnt sure what type of engine and if I would have to switch of my transmisson as well. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
If your not a gear head and with all the money your going to have to spend just sell your jeep and buy one with a 6cyl in it.... There is more than just engine and transmission to contend with. If the 6cyl ends up not being enough power then you can do a stroker kit or have a shop do one for you and you will still be ahead of the game money wise...

·
Registered
873 Posts
if you go with a mopar engine it might line up, my buddy has a yj with a 318 and stock tranny, but for a 350 i think you will have to swap the tranny but i could be wrong.

But why do you think you need a v8 swap? I know guys running 36 inch tires on a 4 cylinder and get through the mud holes just fine

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
First: A 2000 4 cyl probably has the 2.5L. The 2.4L was introduced to 4 cyl Wranglers in 2003.

Second: My suggestion...don't consider a v8 swap until you are done with college. Or at least wait for a long Summer vacation. It's not going to be plug-n-play or something you can crank out in a weekend or two. People that I know who have done it, have the time on their hands to tweek and make the needed changes once the v8 is in. It takes time and money.

Thirdly: That 4 cyl will actually do amazing things in 4Lo. :thumb:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much. I just thought my engine wouldnt be able to handle a 4" suspension lift, 20" Wheels, and 35x12.50x20 Nitto Mud Grappler Tires. Thats pretty much exactly what I want but I feel like it would be impossible for it to handle all that..

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Thanks so much. I just thought my engine wouldnt be able to handle a 4" suspension lift, 20" Wheels, and 35x12.50x20 Nitto Mud Grappler Tires. Thats pretty much exactly what I want but I feel like it would be impossible for it to handle all that..
You have alot more to go with those plans...rear disk brake conversion, SYE/CV, regearing, steering, D44 or 8.8 Rear end, etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now is it possible for me to swap the 2.5 liter engine for a 4.0 jeep engine and keep my same transmission ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts