Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new to these forums. I have an 89 yj 2.5 liter that I bought about a week ago. I bought it in non running non driving condition. After all new fluids, filter, a new fuel pump, and new clutch and slave she runs and drives...

My problem is that after about 5 minutes while driving the engine randomly cuts out. And will restart then in a few minutes it cuts out again. Sometimes it takes longer and longer to kick back over. It does not bog down, it just cuts out as if I had lost the spark...

I don't think It's a battery/alternator issue as I get 14.5 volts on the battery with all electric being used. Can somebody with a bit more experience point me in what direction I should head?! Such as what sensor might be causing my issue or what I should try. Thank you so much in advance for your time and insight

·
Registered
137 Posts
Having pretty much the same problem on my 91 4.0L. I can make it happen by driving 67 MPH, or just drive around the neighborhood till it stalls. Wait. Restart. Stalls. Has fuel pressure. Replaced all the sensors. Will replace the fuel pump next week when it arrives. Same behavior. Thinking a tiny gap in the ignition somewhere that gets too wide when the engine heats up. Stumped as well. Wish I could offer help.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Waste of time and money replacing the fuel pump. If the vehicle starts and runs the fuel pump works.

Inspect the spark plugs. Black, wet with oil, wet with gas are all indicators. I don't have a 4.0 but heard the injectors are failure prone. Once the vehicle warms up they cut out.

For OP, I would think you would have a check engine light to have a sensor issue. Sounds like you might need a tune up; new wires and such. You can check your wires with a voltmeter.
Does the symptom occur in any weather condition?
Is the exhaust in good condition? No leaks?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I replaced the wires to the spark plugs and it has since helped the problem.. For now..

I'm in the process of bed lining the inside of my tub so I haven't driven it more than 7 miles since the wire swap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts