Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone. New member-first post. I am helping a friend by replacing the engine in his 2008 Wrangler 3.8 (auto) Unlimited Rubicon. Fyi, he had an oil leak and ran it dry. Does anyone know of a forum tutorial, or a video, or a link to a pdf of a repair manual that would help with the removal, the transfer of existing parts, and the start-up of the new engine? I have read that the Haynes and the Chilton books are written more towards the older models and barely touch on the newer JK. Please help ASAP, the new long block arrives on Monday 2-2-15. Thanks in advance!
Alfa Andy

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Hello. Google "2007 JK Service manual - FREE"

That should take you to the service manual for the JK and instructions for installing it. Apparently it will pull straight out of the engine bay without removing any body components.

GL. Think about taking pictures and sharing for others in the future!

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

I agree the service is a good source of info. But as another member (ASE_MasterTech) that is ASE certified stated in a separate thread, the Service Manual often references specialty tools that dealer mechanics have. The process is the same.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies! Looking under the hood, it looks like it might not be too hard of a job. A fair amount of room, AC comp. should tie-off out of the way, all engine wire connections on one large gang plug connector(most, at least). I'm still searching for a tutorial or service manual pdf. I googled jk service manual-free, and found several links. All pretty much dead ends. One was $12.95 but had terrible comments about not opening, not working, etc. jeep.com sells a paper version for $398. YIKES! and a cd for $134.99. I read comments that even that one was wrought with opening glitches. Another one was free but needed an old (unsupported) version of Internet Explorer to open, files needed to be burned on disc, changed to html, couldn't view...I just can't deal with that stuff. I'm not that tech literate and I get too frustrated. Alldata site sells a 1 year subscription for one vehicle for $26.95. Still looking for free one, though.
I found a reman long block for $2500. locally (PA) 3yr, 100k warranty. I also found a used engine with a 90 day warranty for $2600. and a used engine with a 3yr. 100k for $3500. My friend choose the reman. FYI, Amazon advertises a reman long block for $2100, but couldn't ship it until the 2nd week in Feb. Thanks again for you help!
Alfa Andy

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Does Chilton or Haynes make a repair manual for the Wrangler? I thought I saw one for the 3.8 but haven't found one for the 3.6 yet.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I have had an AllDataDIY subscription for more than a decade. 22 vehicles in total. I have the 2013 JK manual until they release the 2014 manual.

Unfortunately, it seems the manufacturers are slipping on their repair manual authoring. My 97 Mirage manual was AWESOME. My 07 GTI is ok, and the Wrangler is meh. Wiring diagrams are a joke anymore, if they even include them. And I compared the AllData GTI manual to the real Bentley published manual and confirmed the manual itself is junk and not AllData's translation.

But anyway, you can ghetto-PDF the pages my printing to a PDF writer, which Google Chrome does natively.

Make your friend pay the 27 bucks. Then he can use it to find out how to check his oil. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts