Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2008 Wrangler Sport started making what sounded like a metal to metal ticking noise in the front not too long ago. This went hand in hand with an amazing oil dissapearing act. I took it in to the dealer, since I had just purchased the car used a little over a year ago, and they informed me that I will need to have the worn bearings replaced, along with the gaket and the crank polished.

Couple of questions.... I change the oil every 3 months or 3,000 miles ( even though the manual recommends 6,000). Is this something that should be happening at less than 60,000 miles?

Also, they quoted me a flat price of $1388... is that reasonable?

Anyone have any suggestions? Im a Jeep newb and this is very frustrating.

·
Registered
213 Posts
They ain't exactly known for their reliability, sooo..... lol

One thing to bear in mind is that the 50k miles (or so) that were put on it before you got it may have been a hard 50k! My first Jeep was originally a Hawaii rental and, though you couldn't tell from the outward appearance, it did become clear when examining the parts of the engine that failed me. :(

·
Registered
275 Posts
Try a local engine shop, probably will get a better price and most likely better repair quality. Those dealer labor rates add up fast digging into a motor.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Lots of threads in the "JK Forum" about oil consumption .....Mine drinks too ,I have an 07.

Good luck with the repair....

"BH"

·
Registered
135 Posts
First, run a can of oil treatment of some sort through it and see if that helps. Try Seafoam. It might buy you a little time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts