Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a reman engine, switched it out, did the toothpick trick to get it close to in-time, but when we started it it immediately revs so high I have to cut the engine. We messed with the timing a little and can only get it to run wide open immediately or or runs extremely rough and sluggish. Is this only timing? Or could there be another issue? We feel pretty confident we got all the vacuum lines on correctly. Do I need to take it to the shop and have it hooked to a computer or what? Very frustrated right now.

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
If it is the model with a TPS check these wire connections. Sounds like it is not monitoring the throttle position correctly on startup. If it the carbureted model, could be a stuck throttle linkage at the carburator.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,399 Posts
Your air intake manifold isn't properly seated against the head. It is leaking from there and allowing air to bypass the throttle valve inside the throttle body.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can the manifold gasket be put on backwards? It had pins so it can't be upside down, but it seemed to fit either way.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,399 Posts
It's not likely the gasket, more likely is the intake manifold was simply not positioned properly over the small positioning studs on the head. It's common, someone asks about this issue here at least a few times a month.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you have any tips on how to position it correctly? I think I made it even with the head, should it be a little lower?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,399 Posts
That's simply a judgment call, I think you'll be able to see how to reposition it now that you know it is easy to get it mispositioned. No one seems to have a problem getting it positioned properly the second time once they know they have to take their time to get it right.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You guys are awesome. I love this forum. I loosened all the bolts, repositioned the intake, starting tightening them down, got to the bottom front, heard a pop, then the back popped, finished tightening all the bolts....fired right up!! Now the check engine light is on tho and idles rough when you first take off. Then it goes away and runs fine...kinda sounds like it's getting too much fuel at first.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Turned the "distributor" to 0 degrees (pointing to the firewall) and it runs perfect now. No sputtering.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts