Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got code 51, replace the oxygen sensor, that didn't help. Check the fuel pressure. 31 psi with the vacuum line connected to the fuel pressure regulator, 39 psi with it removed. The system holds pressure and the the pressure goes up a lot when the fuel return line is pinched off. Fuel filter is new. Could the fuel pump strainer be clogged?

·
Registered
274 Posts
this is what I would do if i were you. I would replace the fuel pressure regulator and see if that changes anything. If that does not do it, take a fuel sample and see if you have trash in the tank, if that is the case drain the tank and clean it, while your at it, go on ahead and replace the strainer basket to ensure that you dont have any trash getting into the lines. you could just go on ahead and replace the whole pump since you will have it dropped ONLY if you feel that it needs to be replaced. hope this helps.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I'm getting about a 20 psi drop in fuel pressure over a half hour of the engine shut off. The haynes manual said this is about the limit and to replace the fuel pressure regulator. I however, am going to drop the tank first. Is it normal to get a 20 psi drop in fuel pressure of a 30 minute period of the engine shut off?

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
No, that is not exactly normal. I know this sounds weird, but when I had my xj with the 4.0l running lean, adjusting the timing again to what it should be fixed it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
you can do that too. I however would without a doubt replace that fuel pressure regulator just on the off chance that you have trash inside it. if you have a fitter you can check the fuel pressure to each of the injectors. kinda give you some elimination options.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
... go on ahead and replace the strainer basket to ensure that you dont have any trash getting into the lines. QUOTE]

My fuel strainer is clogged full of dirt, this is most likely the problem. What do you mean by "strainer basket"? Just the strainer filter or do you mean the baffle box that the fuel pump sits in? My baffle box is cracked at the bottom but I don't think I can get one without getting the whole gas tank.

·
Registered
274 Posts
replace the strainer filter is what i am talking about. check to make sure that your baffle box isnt what is causing the trash to get inside the tank. you may have to order a new tank. I dont know if you can silicone the inside of a tank or not being that it has gas and other chemicals that sit in it. maybe someone will come across this and give a more precise answer on that. other than that, if you already have the fuel pump out, I would go ahead and replace everything. Rule of thumb is if you replace the strainer filter you need to replace the fuel pump as well. Should be mentioned in the haynes manual too.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok yeah the baffle box is broke off the bottom of the tank, I think I'm going to leave the baffle out and see how it runs. I have read about people doing that on here. I just may not be allowed to let the gas get as low, which is probably a good thing, as it seemed I sucked up some dirt. I will just replace the whole pump like you said, the strainer is really dirty and who knows how much dirt is in the pump impeller. The pump is not dead completely, but it might be clogged up with a lot of debris.

·
Registered
274 Posts
after you replace your pump, i recommend running some fuel additive. lucas, gumout, which ever you prefer. I used Lucas in my jeep. that should help clean the lines and your injectors and get the dirt out of the system. if worse comes to worse then I suggest bringing it somewhere that can flush your fuel system.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well im trying to put it back together now and Napa sold me a pump that doesn't really fit that well. Pump N69302. Everywhere else the number is 69302, the "N" is just for "Napa". It seems like the plastic end piece that the strainer goes on is too long and bottoms out in the tank. Can I take this plastic piece off and put on the stock style stainer?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts