Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
99 automatic tj.
Dies when switching from reverse into drive.. Done it three times, always on first start of the day. Suggestions? Possibly a vacuum problem?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
Your IAC (idle air controller) is what provides all of the engine's air at idle RPMs and it could be dirty internally and hanging up, which is why MixedBrass suggested you clean it. Since your engine is at idle RPMs when shifting between gears, the IAC could (!) be dirty enough inside that it can't respond fast enough to let more air when told to to do so by the engine computer.

I'd go buy an aerosol can of Throttle Body Cleaner and after removing the air intake tube from the throttle body, start the engine and start spraying the cleaner into the throttle body. The IAC will, at idle RPMs, suck the TB cleaner in through the 'Idle Air Control Passage Inlet' (below) which will help to clean it internally. The engine will also die when the IAC fills with TB cleaner but that's ok and actually good since that will give the cleaner extra time to work. Just restart the engine and do it again.

No guarantees this is the fix for the problem but it's what what I would start with since 1) it could fix the problem and 2), your TB is dirty and needs cleaning no matter what. I'd keep spraying until the can is empty, TBs and the air intake system gets dirty and this is likely overdue no mater what.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
I would look at the T/C lock up solenoid, do you have a check engine light on by chance?
You can try pulling the fuse for the T/C and starting it cold in the morning and see what happens.

-Jason

1 - 6 of 6 Posts