Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
shttp://www.wranglerforum.com/images/smilies/doh.gifo the title of my jeep is work in progress that aint no lie. I have a 95 yj with 4.0 I6. My buddy and I recently pulled the head to do some upkeep on the engine so i can get all i can out of it. The PO must have not done any regular oil changes and used crappy oil because the sludge is unbeleivable! so the head is cleaned and new valve job done..... what should I do? ive done a bunch of research on additives and there are mixed reviews...right now our plan of action is to clean sludge anywhere else we see it, pull the oil pan clean it, oil change/filter change, engine flush several times with continued oil changes filter changes. Any body out there whos dealt with this before help!!! I cant put tons of cash into this jeep but i want to get it right.

·
Registered
505 Posts
honestly that shoud be good, i have used many engine flush treatments before and they work well, just pour in and let it run (do not drive it at all) let it run for about 10 min and do an oil changed.. all that crap will flush right out.. only need to do it once and you should be good. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so after doing more research we are going to manually clean sludge and use an oil with detergent and do several oil and filter changes for awhile and see how things move along. as far as all these additives most of the info ive read before and after results are not what poeple wanted ie a broken motor. seems that when a super harsh additive is used it knocks loose all that crap and screws the motor up. I would rather take progrssive approach and put the time in on something watered down for a lack of better terms, and do several oil and filter changes instead of exspecting "wham bam thank u mam" it is 4am so when folks wake up give me a sinity check on this please

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
anti trust thanks but im concerned about this because the amount of sludge was crazy. its on thick, ill try to take a photo later today. gotta get some rack ill be up at it in a few hours. thnx for the info though i will take it into consideration

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1 more thing if anybody has a mileage question about the jeep she's at 132,000! not horrendous for a 95 but no doubt some of that gunk is probably keeping it running.

·
Registered
505 Posts
yup.. and the people with the broken motors after the fact are exactley what you said, it cleaned all the gunk out and whatever that gunk was holding together or whatever leaks they where plugging became known.. even if they didnt to the engine flush they where driving a ticking time bomb anyways.. or they improperly used the product. I have told people before not to do engine flushes when they came in because it would most likley cause more harm then good but be ready for big money repairs.. my shop didnt like me because i am a no bs straight forward guy.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Because of lack of oil changes it's obvious the engine's life will be shortened.I would get all ya can out of what you got left.Don't forget to clean oil pump and screen.I wouldn't do oil rince deals the bearings will get to many particles that you loosened up.NG.After assembly let run up to operating temp. then drain.Your engine will smoke blue when you start up cause the sludge help seal the valve guides.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Check to see how much it you cost to go on and pull motor out, have it cleaned and new freeze plugs, cam bears, and put it back together with new bearings and rings. Not a REBUILD, bore ect., just Clean and refresh. with the low miles on it you should be good for a Long time after that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for all the info. just an update on how things are moving along...today got all but three lifters out, dropped the oil pan, began cleaning the muck where the lifters were. going to replace oil pump and oil screen. im sure a few other things are going to be replaced as well. This jeep needs it anyways and I plan on keeping it forever. just glad ive got a great buddy helping me out on this who knows a hell of alot more than I do about jeeps! appreciate all the input and nubby 55 it seems im headed in that direction. want to do it right the first time so I can move on fixing and replacing other issues we've identified.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The mechanic down the road from me has a lancer. He got it pulled the drain plug and the oil burped out, it was like tar coming out. He uses synthetic blend oil and over the coarse of about 8 oil changes the oil now comes out golden brown. Was also the same deal with a ram truck he bought. The filter was actually pretty much rotting off. But your problem seems to be pretty bad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts