Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '88 Wrangler will die on me the first 10 minutes or so of starting it /driving it unless I keep pumping the gas. I have changed the fuel pump, fuel filter, and added a check valve. A mechanic looked at it and adjusted the carb but it still will stall out the first 10 minutes or so of driving it. After about 5- 10 minutes of driving it and it warming up, it will then stay running without me having to keep pressing on gas pedal. It will then run a little rough but never the less, it will stay running at that point. I added 2 cans of sea foam thinking that will help but no change. My next thought is to drop the tank and change the fuel pickup. Maybe that is clogged? I am a novice at this but I dont mind getting my hands dirty to try to fix it. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,944 Posts
Have you checked your plugs lately?

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
Don't assume that the mechanic checked your choke.
Remove your air cleaner when the engine is cold and take a look at the choke plate (the top disc that you see when looking down the throat of the carb). It should be closed or close to closed. If not, adjust it.

For instructions on adjusting your choke, look for a post by MudMagnetYJ and look for a link in his signature to Factory Service Manual. Open the 1987-1990 manual and find the carburetor section. There you will find instructions on how to adjust your choke.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Easy Fix for Jeep 258 Carter BBD Idle Problem, I don't know if you can look this up but if so it will you how to clean the idle tubes and make your jeep run right.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have not yet checked the spark plugs but will look at those this weekend. I will also check out the choke and carb. I will also try the BBD Idle Problem. I googled that and saw an article on it. Will check all your suggestions out this weekend. Thanks for the advice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts