Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a weird experience this morning. Jumped in my 2012 Wrangler Sport with automatic transmission, put the key in the ignition tried to start and nothing happens, no sound, but all of the dash lights looked normal.

I had a faulty battery replaced by the dealer in June 2013, and thought it might be another bad battery. However, this time was different, whereas before I had to jump start and then every light on the dash went nuts, Jeep would hardly run, etc., barely made it to the dealer and that was definitely the result of the faulty battery.

However this time, after about an hour I tried again to start it, I pressed really hard on the brake peddle and it started right up. I turned it off, did not press the brake and it started again. I've tried several more times and it has started without a problem.

I called the dealer who said if there wasn't a code showing it would be difficult to determine the problem. I said you can at least check the battery and the starter for faults, which he said they could do.

Has anyone had this intermittent problem? If so let me know so I can take your tale along with me to the dealer. I spend a lot of time in the mountains and I would rather not have this happen up there. Thanks. :wavey:

·
Registered
195 Posts
It's possible that your "Range Sensor" is not sensing that you are in park. Next time it happens try pushing the shifter more towards park,then if it starts , it may be the culprit.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's possible that your "Range Sensor" is not sensing that you are in park. Next time it happens try pushing the shifter more towards park,then if it starts , it may be the culprit.
Thanks JMCD, I'll keep that in mind. Also gives me an additional possibility to share with the service department. I'll keep you updated.

·
Super Moderator
7,627 Posts

Good idea, he can also try starting it in neutral as well.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've had a similar issue. Had to jiggle the shifter on my 07 JKUS a couple times but then starts like normal. I find the issue more prevalent in the hot summers here in Dallas.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks JMCD, I'll keep that in mind. Also gives me an additional possibility to share with the service department. I'll keep you updated.
As it turns out I didn't take Jeep in to the dealer. It has started without fail numerous times and only happened once. I cancelled the appointment thinking that with an intermittent issue they most likely wouldn't find the problem, yet they would certainly find an invoice.
I appreciate those Jeeper's who have offered suggestions. If someone else has experienced a similar issue, let me know. Thanks. :wavey:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts