Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 98K on this '99 TJ I just purchased. I got a P1391 Engine service code come up yesterday. Crank positioning sensor code. The only time I have real stutter issues is in 3rd gear from 2,500 - 3,200 RPM's. I have run several fuel additives (no change). I pulled rotor cap off and scraped the build up off rotor and contact points. If plugs or plugwires were bad i would think it would happen more frequently.

If Crank Positioning Sensor is at fault why only at that RPM in 3rd gear. Seems like it would be constant in each gear around the same RPM range.

I was thinking possible fuel delivery issues (clogged filter) only starving engine at this RPM while accelerating quicker and starving for fuel. Are these inline fuel filters or internal in fuel cell?

Any thoughts?

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
I had the same prob.It would break up when warm in higher gears so I had to pull over and get it back to first gear then take off,repeat.I didnt have any faults.I replaced the Crank sensor & its been fine ever since.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts