Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that the i6 will mount on the current 4banger mounts, and i have also heard that they sit too far back and to do this swap ill need to weld new mounts in...?? So whats the true story in this, and what kind of wiring do i need for the engine?

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I have heard that the i6 will mount on the current 4banger mounts
You have heard wrong, you will need to fab up new mounts for pretty much any other engine other than an AMC150.

Also, regarding wiring depends on the year of the Jeep. The 1991 and on went to a MPFI setup with a different harness than what was included with the first gen YJ's.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kool thanx, my jeep is a 1990 but i think the i6 i wanna use is an 89.... i have the tranny and transfer case that go with the i6, will the tranny line up with the transmission mounts?

·
Registered
879 Posts
the trans mounts might match up but the motor mounts need moved farther forward on the frame

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Check with state laws before you do an engine swap... Most states don't allow you to put an older engine in a newer vehicle- your engine needs to be of the same model year or newer.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Check with state laws before you do an engine swap... Most states don't allow you to put an older engine in a newer vehicle- your engine needs to be of the same model year or newer.
^ This is true, Any state that has adopted California Emissions laws, with that engine swap, will make your Jeep unregisterable.
You need to stick with the model year of your Jeep, and NEWER.

I am a smog check and repair tech in Cali, and know this as fact.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Oh ok, i live in cali....so with an older engine it just cant pass smog?
Correct, it will fail smog, and with no smog you cant register it.

If I was you, I would craigslist your 4.2L and hit up Pick and pull for a Cherokee with a 4.0 and whichever transmission you want to use, thats your Jeeps model year or newer. I would shy away from OBD2 (1996 and newer) because of EVAP compatibility issues (unless you have someone that can custom program your computer).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ya, i might hit up pick-a-part then...cuz i have no electrical for the i6 i have now......what do those places usually charge to pull an engine do you know?

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
^Don't think most of us would like to have to use a shifter that sits between the seats ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts